1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wk 10 Thread: Slash can punt/pass/run/receive/be subject of Internet rumors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He's not. Rivers > Manning this year. Can't believe it's a debate.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mangled that lame attempt at a retort just a bit. Care to try again?

Anyhoo, some of us actually have the capacity to look beyond half a season when evaluating a player. History means something, too.

Looking at just this season, Manning is still carrying the Colts as injuries devastate the team around him. Dallas Clark goes down and suddenly some scrub named Tamme is racking up receptions. Think maybe it is the quarterback raising the level of the mediocre talents around him? Other than Wayne, what does he really have?

Can an argument be made for Rivers? Sure. To say it's not even close is ridiculous.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Go look at my original post, in which I make the very same point about Rivers. The only difference is that Rivers' numbers this year, across the board, are better than Manning's.

And we're talking about who the best QBs are right now. History doesn't mean shit. Manning doesn't get a lifetime pass as the "best QB" every year just because he has been for a good portion of his career. Rivers is the best QB in the league through nine weeks. I can back up my contention with the anectdotal crap we're debating right now, or I can simply post a comparison of their numbers. Would you like me to do that?

The poster who said a while back you have a paranoid personality disorder was spot-on. You have issues, man, the least of which is your ignorance of the NFL.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Cue outofplace post about you resorting to personal attacks because you know you lost the argument, even though he has no problem using personal attacks on junkie.

But I digress ...

THIS SEASON, Philip Rivers has produced better passing numbers than Peyton Manning by nearly all metrics, except interception rate, where Manning has the advantage. He also has a better record, but that's a smaller part of the argument. THIS SEASON, THROUGH NINE GAMES, Philip Rivers has been better than Peyton Manning.

5. outofplace

The Chargers have not been hit as badly as the Colts. That is one thing.

I'm not talking about a lifetime pass. I'm talking about considering the player's history, recent and long-term, in addition to this season when evaluating who the best in the league is. Manning's track record is better. Disregarding that is short-sighted and ignorant.

Regarding your last point, you are entitled to your opinion, Dr. YGBFKM. I will give it the consideration due the source.

6. outofplace

Rivers has better numbers so far, through half a season, ignoring wins and interceptions, with a healthier team.

If you want to completely ignore track record, it is still ridiculous to say it isn't even close.

So, little sock puppet, is Kyle Orton better than Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Really? Manning started the season with all his weapons. Rivers didn't. His best WR, Vincent Jackson, a Pro Bowler, hasn't played all year. Meanwhile, Manning's Pro Bowl WR, Reggie Wayne, has played every game. The loss of Dallas Clark obviously hurt, but Rivers has been playing without his top two WRs in Jackson's place for weeks. And those top two WRs were Malcolm Fucking Floyd and Legedu Fucking Nannee (not checking the spelling). Then, last week, his only reliable target, Antonio Gates, was sidelined. So Rivers, with no Gates and a rookie named Seji Ajirotutu (I checked the spelling) as his primary target, went out and threw four TDs and led his team to a win on the road when they desperately needed to win. What did Manning do last week?

8. secretariat

A healthier team that has played all season without its No. 1 receiver.

I'm not a sock puppet. But I notice you use that argument often when new people disagree with you. I guess it is a bit unbelievable so many people think you're an ass.

And, no. Kyle Orton is not better than Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. But you know that. So I'm not even sure why you asked the question. But I'm sure in the back of your sad, strange little mind you had a good reason to ask it.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

Because Orton has better stats by almost every measure so far this season. If you are going to say Rivers is better than Manning, doesn't that mean you have to say Orton is better than Rodgers and Brees? Or do logical inconsistencies just not bother you?

As for the sock puppet thing, every single time I have thrown that at another poster I have been right. I'm just taking a very well-educated guess in your case. If I'm right again, well, that's just damn funny.

11. outofplace

So, now we're going down to one-game sample sizes being worthwhile. This gets better and better. You still have no answer for the importance of considering track record when considering who is a better player.

One reason we know Rodgers and Brees are better than Orton is track record. Apparently, those things only matter when it suits some people's arguments.

All you have is an opinion regarding whose supporting cast is better or worse or has been hit harder by injuries. Not even close? As I said regarding a different issue earlier, I'll give that opinion the value it deserves based on the source.

12. secretariat

Almost every measure, huh? The numbers are so close across the board, it's laughable. Some are better than others in certain categories. But since Aaron Rodgers isn't a stone statue in the backfield, he gets bonus points. And Brees has more TDs and has completed 8 percent more of his passes, so he's been far more accurate.

The standing eight count is in effect.

RK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G
    9 Kyle Orton, QB DEN 316 195 61.7 2509 7.94 71 12 5 21 92.7 314
    10 Drew Brees, QB NO 374 261 69.8 2587 6.92 80 18 12 14 91.7 287
    11 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 303 192 63.4 2300 7.59 86 15 9 17 90.6 256

Draft saved Draft deleted