1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card weekend (and Black Monday) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe, but the Steelers' only real chance was for the Browns to choke. They had to keep the pressure on for that to happen.

Mayfield did finally make that one big mistake on third down before the field goal that put the Browns up 16 with about five minutes remaining. He threw an out to Hooper and Edmunds was in perfect position. Of course, as he often does, Edmunds hesitated and never even got a hand on the ball. It actually should have been a touchdown, but Hooper dropped it. Edmunds was terrible last night. Any delusions about him earning that first-round draft status need to stop.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sunay night, Browns vs. the Steelers

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. poindexter

This is the first time I have ever in my life seen it advocated that the best way to recover a fumbled football is to stand there watching.

4. poindexter

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Apparently you need a 28-point lead for that to be effective.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

As I was watching that blowout slowly turn back into a game, if the Browns somehow lost that, the entire city needed to be on a suicide watch, and they stopped running the ball.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Still can't believe Tomlin punted. If it hasn't already been said, I don't think he makes that call with 60,000 in the stands.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

They've been doing that all year. Really, they needed to play that personnel. As Oop keep railing about, the Browns defense sucks. Because defenses missing seven starters suck. So they stayed two-deep all game, let the Steelers churn up yards and the 28-point spot was just enough.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Still dumb. There was no excuse for punting.

sgreenwell and Tighthead like this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The last time the Browns won a road playoff game, the Dow was 838.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol in these photos Blanda looks 67 and Brady looks 31.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's the best way, but it surely isn't as cut and dried as the "business decision" you've decided it is.

Roethlisberger looked at Conner twice as they were running back toward the ball. I can't tell from the video, but they might have talking -- "I got it," or, "You got it?" Even if they weren't, he knew Conner was going after it.

If your teammate -- a running back, not a lineman -- is going to fall on the ball uncontested, is it a good idea to jump in with him and fight for the ball? Maybe he could have jumped on top of him when he recovered it to keep defenders from knocking it loose or grabbing it, but I'm not sure diving in with him was the best course of action. Maybe it would have been, but I don't think it's that clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted