1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card Thread: Cowboys? Check. Jets? Check. Steelers .... Steelers ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, the Terrific Twelve are set. Eight of them will play this weekend and three of them are in rematches. In a way it's kind of like the replay in the FA Cup when matches are drawn -- you play to a result the second time. (I know, not the same, but still interesting.)

Saturday
    Jets at Bengals, 3:30 p.m. CDT (CBS NBC)
    Eagles at Cowboys, 7 p.m. (NBC)

Sunday
    Ravens at Patriots, noon (CBS)
    Packers at Cardinals, 3:30 p.m. (FOX)

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In a way it's kind of like the replay in the FA Cup when matches are drawn -- you play to a result the second time. (I know, not the same, but still interesting.)

What the what??

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what the fuck either.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: NFL Wild Card Thread: Cowboys? Check. Jets? Check. Steelers .... Steelers ..

It's reference to English soccer. The FA Cup is a tournament that allows every Football Association team in the country to enter. The smaller the team, the earlier you start playing. The bigger the team (Manchester United, Liverpool, etc.) get byes into the later stages. (If there were enough of us in England, it's possible the SportsJournalists.com team advance to play in Wembley Stadium against a Premier League team for the title.) What FB was referencing is how if there's a draw in a tournament match, there will be a replay between the two teams. And they play until there's a winner.

But, as FB referenced, it's a bit different this week in the NFL since some teams obviously didn't give a damn about winning yesterday.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thanks, Inky. I was going to wait for someone else to explain the awesomest tournament ever.

Anyone else notice that Man U are now only 2 points behind Chelsea in the Premiership table and the Gunners are lurking with a match in hand?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hey hey, take it to the soccer thread.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

This is on NBC as well.

8. poindexter

Oh, for pete's sake. We aren't idiots. I got that he was referring to soccer. I didn't see any 'draws' yesterday. Just three blowouts. It was just a hideous analogy.

I think the NFL wildcard playoff schedule reminds me of major league baseball. Two teams play on a Tuesday night. Then they come right back and play each other on Wednesday night as well. (I know, not the same, but still interesting.)

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except that I don't think this has ever happened before, with three of the games being rematches from the final week of the regular season. Speaking of hideous analogies. (Ok, I'm assuming you meant this year's NFL wild card playoff schedule, but you didn't write it that way.)

By the way, love the thread title. Shows the obsession among non-Steelers fans with that team.

10. poindexter

The NFL playoffs remind me of the Mens Big West basketball tournament. Cal State Fullerton plays UC Riverside in the first round, but UC Irvine gets a bye until the semi-finals. (I know, not the same, but still interesting.)

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have to be slightly pedantic and point out that not every team can enter. There are requirements, minimal though they may be. The main ones are that a team play at Step 10 or above (most players at this level are paid, if not very much) and that your field have floodlights.

*scurries back to soccer thread*

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: NFL Wild Card Thread: Cowboys? Check. Jets? Check. Steelers .... Steelers ..

not really interesting either ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted