1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 9 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Nov 3, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I can see them playing better D if the secondary heals, and there was talk of McNair having trouble gripping the ball in the rain.

That said, I fear the Browns and the Bengals more than I fear the Ravens.

The Ravens just do not match up well with Pittsburgh.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What has changed, technically, from last season that possibly leads you to say that?

The biggest change is Roethlisberger's health. Period.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If that's all it is, I'm amazed. Not saying you are not right, but that is amazing.

I would think the coaching and the mindset that it is sending to the players might play a part.

Plus, the D only gave up more than 24 points once last year. After holding the Colts to 15 in the playoffs, the O only gives the D six. I think they are fed up mentally and have lost the drive so to speak.

Without the strong D, that team has almost no chance to win.

Teams that kill Pittsburgh have fast running backs who can run outside the hashes and can throw the ball down the field 10-15 yards consistently. Grinding it out on the ground just does not work against an All Pro nose tackle like Hampton.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Teams that can throw the ball down the field 10-15 yards consistently = Cleveland Browns.

Is it 1 p.m. Sunday yet?

5. I think the fact that McNair had little to no time in the pocket to find recievers on Monday helped the Steelers out a lot as well. Last year, McNair could stick around and look a bit longer, as well as have open lanes to slide out and buy some time, Last night, he had none. Once the Steelers forced some turnovers and got ahead, Baltimore was forced to alter it's gameplan, instead of dictating it, which they did to Pittsburgh twice last season.

6. Alas, little Brownies fanboy, the Steelers defense isn't exactly like the Rams/Raiders/Bungles. I wouldn't be looking so forward to Sunday just yet. Seems to me you are licking your chops. OK, fanboy off his podium now. Seriously, I am glad that it's Cleveland who is rising up toward the top of the division instead of Baltimore and Cincy, teams with an irrational chip on their shoulder. Seems to be Browns fans are a bit easier to talk to.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Denver TV station reporting LJ is out for the year w/a broken foot:

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=4853373&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is definitely a part of it. Even when Roethlisberger started to play better late in the year, he wasn't breaking tackles and making plays on the move like he is now.

But there are other factors. One is the development of Santonio Holmes, who really didn't become much of a threat until late last season. Heath Miller has gotten better, too. The Steelers have more weapons, which is crucial against an opponent that has been able to consistently take Willie Parker away.

Both teams have good backs and strong run defenses, but the Steelers have more options in the passing game even when Todd Heap is healthy.

The secondary is also better. Ike Taylor lost his confidence in 2006. He seems to have it back and that makes a huge difference. You can't go after the Steelers without going downfield in the passing game and Baltimore just doesn't do that.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

True.

And it means not much if Batch, or the 2006 Roethlisberger is taking the snaps.

Draft saved Draft deleted