1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 9: Shane Matthews coaches at Tebow High

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 30, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Packers scored 20 points in regulation against the Giants. The Patriots scored 17. The Falcons scored two. The 49ers scored 17.

So Smith is slightly worse than Rodgers, on par with Brady and fifty kajillion times better than Matt Ryan. Is that how that works, Devil?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So was I. I thought Philbin might be one and done as coach and I thought Tannehill was a colossal reach. They're a long way from being good, but they're a lot better than anyone thought.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been in the anti-Alex camp since the day they picked him, but at some point people need to realize how stupid they look when they criticize a guy when he's setting a completion record.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great analogy.

Good luck with Smith.

5. LongTimeListener

I'm seriously just wondering. You said the flaw was that he only led them to 17 points in the NFC championship game. If that's the flaw, what does it say about Rodgers and Brady?

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Is this a repeat of the Mangini and McDaniel experiences (even Singletary)? Win early then off the cliff?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Those two guys have won more than one playoff game.

And people can say that he freezes up with the football (44 sacks last season), has an average arm and does not make big plays on his own, but I don't think you would listen to that.

Smith does not pass the eyeball test, and he shit all over himself two weeks ago when the Giants came back.

8. LongTimeListener

I would listen to all of that. And I would say mostly that he is being instructed not to throw the ball into coverage -- with that defense, Harbaugh is happy to lose yards and punt. I would also say it is completely provable that you are wrong that he does not make plays on his own -- the touchdown run to put them up against the Saints being the primary example.

I'm a Tebow guy, I think he's flawed but finds a way, and I also think wins and losses should count for plenty in looking at a quarterback. But you take this "QBs decide who wins!" to a ridiculous level. I think you're the kind of person who actually truly believes Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Fouts.

Teams have to make a decision on where to spend money. It is no accident that Peyton Manning had terrible defenses his last however many years in Indianapolis, just as the Saints and Patriots and Packers are all pretty subpar on D as well. The 49ers spend their money on the defensive side and are looking for a quarterback to play a solid game -- "game manager" to use the cliche. Smith can turn it up when needed, and he did several times last season with quite a few comebacks.

I'm not saying every sack is by design or anything. Some of them are Alex's fault. Is he great? No. He might never make a Pro Bowl. Is he a good decision-maker who understands the system Harbaugh wants to play? Yes. And he was a fumbled punt return away from getting them to the Super Bowl with that system, despite the 49ers being so strapped at wide receiver that Kyle Williams was getting heavy time at that position in the NFC championship.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Admitting you're a Tebow guy then trying to argue the merits of the quarterback position is like saying you're a Ralph Nader fan and expecting people to listen to your political arguments.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hey, watch it with the insults, pal! ;)

And oh yeah ... vote Jill Stein for president! :D

11. LongTimeListener

I thought we had Tebow to bond over.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The best thing Harbaugh did for Smith was take the pressure off him to be No. 1 pick-savior-God guy. He gave Smith some trust and stability, and he's taken off as a result. Smith isn't going to be Peyton Manning. But he can be what he is -- a fairly efficient quarterback running a system with minimal errors. And unlike a Dilfer, I don't think the 49ers win despite him.

Draft saved Draft deleted