1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 9: Shane Matthews coaches at Tebow High

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 30, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That's right, the former Bears (and others') QB was recently hired as coach at Nease High School.

As for the games this week, I'll have to look them up and get back to ya.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not too many games jumping off the page.

Steelers and Giants is a decent matchup.

Ravens at Browns - for a Brown win
    Viking/Seahawk winner will take a big step to the playoffs.

Cowboys at Falcons/Eagles at Saints could be entertaining in a train wreck type of fashion. It could be the last game for a couple of coaches.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Recently hired, as in last spring. Try to keep up.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Actually, Mr. Jacksonville and Surrounding Areas of Insignificance, it was January, which, if you're not aware, is the winter. You only missed it by a season.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Chiefs-Chargers = Thursday night shitshow.

The most amazing thing to me as a Colts looser fanboi is that Manning and Luck have the same record so far this season. Granted, Denver is better, and its schedule is weak enough it could run the table the rest of the way. But things have worked out as well as can be expected for everyone involved in this deal.

Colts-Miami, which looked to have no significance to anyone early on, now looks like it could make a huge difference in the AFC wild card race.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Really surprised at Miami. After getting rid of Marshall, seemingly reaching for Tannehill and looking all sorts of dysfunctional on Hard Knocks, I was expecting a 2-win season.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

January, last spring, whatever. Certainly wasn't "recent." I got it closer than YG.
    And our winter was so warm last year fall just went to spring.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, a factor in all of this is how down the AFC is this year, and the benefits of playing a last-place schedule. Miami only has four games left against teams with winning records: Indianapolis, the Patriots (twice) and San Francisco. Colts have the same number: Miami, Houston twice (in the last three weeks) and New England.

But still, Tannehill has done OK for himself as a rookie, and Miami's defense is tough. And there's the rejuvenation of Reggie Bush.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What grade are you in?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know we discuss Alex Smith a lot on here, and I know a lot of people aren't sold on him -- I think he is perfectly fine for what the 49ers are trying to do -- but here is a small sampling of what he faces in the Bay Area. I post this because it isn't all that unusual a take:

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami
    yeah what a horrible night.RT @geemoney09 still same old Alex. Average qb. Can only throw to wide open receivers. Won't throw receivers open

This was last night when Smith was 18 for 19, the highest single-game completion percentage in NFL history (minimum 15 throws), and threw three touchdown passes. The only incomplete pass was a drop by a wide-open receiver.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bryant McKinnie sued for $375,000 unpaid bill at strip club.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/30/bryant-mckinnie-sued-for-375000-in-strip-club-bills/

There is a charge for licking the dancer's hoochie, as opposed to the Love Boat where the upfront price is all-inclusive.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Half empty/half full conundrum. He's better than Sanchez, Vick, Skelton, Bradford, Wilson (maybe not for long), Palmer, Gabbert, Newton, Cutler, Ponder, etc. But he's not a guy who's going to win the game for you. I just wish he would at least get to the Jeff Garcia level. Stats are deceiving, last night he was 12 yds per attempt. Phenomenal for him (avg. is around 7) but its not like he's throwing 15 yd outs or hooks. 47 was to Moss on an 8 yd hook and 25 was to Crabtree on a 5 yd hitch that he broke.

Draft saved Draft deleted