1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8 thread: Oh Troy Aikman, where art thou?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 26, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The point is that the Texans made the right pick, even though they were ripped for it, and we just don't see anyobdy admitting they were wrong to criticize them at the time.

2. outofplace

The entire point was that Williams was the right choice for the Texans after all.

If a team wins a Super Bowl with a player that does not always mean he was a great draft pick. I used an extreme example to prove the point.

Bush was a role player on that team. He was definitely a useful part of that offense, but he has not produced on the level expected of a player taken that high. There were many decisions far better than that one that were reasons the Saints won it all last year.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll lock this thread right now. You two bozos need to figure out another way to handle the hard ons you have for one another. It's fucking tiresome. Just ignore each other if you have to be a couple of dicks.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

AND Bush was the right choice for the Saints.

I know, I know, it is so difficult to understand that both points can be and are correct. It doesn't have to be either/or

5. outofplace

I understand it just fine. I simply agree with the poster who argued that it was too high to take a back like Bush and the poster who brought this all up in the first place to point out that despite all the heat they took, the Texans made the right choice.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Saints made an emotional pick with Bush, and he was far more important in the run to the SB last year than he had ever been to that point in his career. But on the list of moves pertinent to winning it all, the drafting of Reggie Bush is a ways down the list.

7. zagoshe

An emotional pick?

They picked the Heisman Trophy winner, a guy who was easily one of the two most dangerous/exciting players in college football that year and he is one of only about 15 players in history to have more than 2,000 all-purpose yards in back-to-back seasons and he led his team to one national title and had they handed him the ball on fourth-and-1 he likely would have given them a second one.

This wasn't an emotional pick - he was seen as a guy who could be a big-play guy and he has provided that - and again, he wasn't the MVP of the Saints last year but he was an important part of that team, especially as a return man.

An emotional pick is Mike Mamula - who did nothing in college but went nuts at the combine.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As was mentioned earlier, he was picked to generate buzz and help save a team that was thought to be on its way out of town. And I would say you know better than to argue the brilliance of drafting THE HEISMAN WINNER!!!!!, but it's obvious you're just an average fanboi who likes to get all hot and bothered and spout off on subjects you have no more than barroom-level expertise in. Bush is a decent player, but he has not — and will not — have the career one would expect of a top 5 pick. He's a nice weapon for the Saints, but he's limited and was in no way indispensable last season. If he were, he wouldn't have been splitting time with Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell. I will give you that he's one of the league's best return men, but if return men were THAT important, the Bears would be in contention for the Super Bowl every year.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nah, not even that would be enough to catapult them into regular contention.

10. zagoshe

Well I was waiting for some mental midget to bring out the names of guys like Danny Wuerffel and Eric Crouch and Ron Dayne --- I didn't expect it to be you but it doesn't surprise me that you went there, even though I put Reggie Bush's stats and the fact that he doesn't play quarterback, but was highly productive as a return man. Don't try and paint me with that crap and you calling me a fanboi is ridiculous seeing as you probably don't even know what NFL team I root for unlike you.

And the Bears nearly won a Super Bowl a few years ago almost completely on the strength of a really good return man.

Here is another example of an emotional pick from that same draft - a strong armed quarterback with a ten-cent head whose teams sucked in college, who this past week threw four passes to one player on the other team.

And that brings me to this point - who the fuck else would the Saints have taken at that spot in that particular draft? A.J. Hawk? Vernon Davis? Ernie Sims? Matt Leinart? Vince Young?

Bush added a dimension to their team.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Having watched him pretty closely for the past four-plus seasons, I think Reggie Bush is a victim of his peculiar set of skills. He's really not physical enough to be an everyday NFL running back, and he's not quite fast enough to be an everyday NFL wideout.

He's a true tweener, and as such doesn't have a defined position where he can be an every-down player. So the Saints have to pick their spots where they can use him most effectively, as thus his overall numbers aren't going to be that impressive.

But when you start breaking down his career numbers, they look pretty damn good. In four-plus seasons, Bush has played in 54 games, which works out to about 13 a season. Not bad for a guy in a high-risk position. He's rushed 495 times for 1,958 yards and 17 TDs, caught 268 passes for 1,997 yards and 12 scores and returned 84 punts for 678 yards and 4 TDs. That adds up 4,633 yards and 33 touchdowns on 847 touches, for an average of 5.47 yards per touch. I don't know about some of you, but I'll gladly take a guy who can give my team nearly 5 1/2 yards every time he touches the football.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

OK, let's shoot some ducks in a barrel.

1) I never mentioned any of those former Heisman winners. You did, so thanks for making my point.

2) You're a Dolphins fanboi.

3) You might want to mention to the 2006 Bears defense, the offensive line and players like Thomas Jones that the team got to the Super Bowl "completely on the strength of a really good return man," who, BTW, had virtually the same season the next year when the Bears missed the playoffs.

4) Your thing with Cutler is reaching oop levels of obsession.

5) The following players from the 2006 first round have had much better careers than Reggie Bush and/or would have helped the Saints more on a down-to-down basis: Davis, Haloti Ngata, Antonio Cromartie, DeAngelo Williams and Nick Mangold. Or, they could have grabbed the guy who singlehandedly led the Bears to the Super Bowl in the second round, 14 picks before the Bears drafted him.

Draft saved Draft deleted