1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8: Steve Young is calling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 22, 2008.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Ask LeCharles Bentley how that big-money free agent contract he got from the Browns worked out.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Yea, ask him, he got paid pretty well.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

His career is ruined and he nearly died from his go-round with staph. Other than that, life's a beach.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Kellen Winslow is a blowhard. But he's right this time.

That the Browns asked him to be so hush-hush is ridiculous, though understandable. It should be embarrassing to the organization, and it could be tragic if a staph infection kills one of their players.

It needed to be addressed yesterday. The Browns should have been more proactive about this issue, and not so concerned about what is being said.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wfw, Sam.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm

For some reason, Santonio Holmes seems to be trying to get himself traded to the Bengals.

7. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

You can take the Buckeye out of Columbus ...

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He needs to straighten out.

Pittsburgh has a lot invested in him. If he washes out of the league before Hines retires in a year or two, then the Steelers have pretty much nothing at WR after Ward leabes. Sure, Sweed might step up, but is he really a #1 receiver? Then you have Nate Washington as your #2, so other than getting fleeced in the free agent market, the options are few.

9. outofplace

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm

The Steelers suspended Holmes for the game Sunday. Willie Parker is also expected to miss the game. I'd be very surprised if Troy Polamalu (concussion) plays and Aaron Smith missed his third straight practice today for "personal reasons" and also might miss the game.

This looked like the best game of the week by far, but the Giants should win it fairly easily. I had my doubts about the Steelers to begin with and they certainly aren't good enough to beat a good team with those guys out of the lineup.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, Moore is playing just as well as Parker. They could sub Polamalu in for passing situations (hopefully less contact), and hopefully Smith has his problem straightened out.

Not having Holmes is a very big loss. I cannot imagine Nate Washington attracts the coverage as Holmes, so there will be less room for ward and Miller.

Not a good start to a tough stretch of games.

I am glad that the team is sitting Holmes, though.

11. outofplace

I agree on that last point. Given his history, Tomlin is absolutely correct in benching him for this.

It is going to make it a lot easier for the Giants to take Hines Ward away. Limas Sweed as the No. 3 wide receiver definitely does not inspire any confidence.

If they are going to sit Polamalu due to the concussion, he needs to sit the entire game. That is something nobody should mess around with.

I am curious to see how that backfield works once Parker returns. It should help to have the two of them sharing the load. Moore is not Parker's equal as a runner, but he gives them an every-down threat as a receiver out of the backfield that the Steelers haven't had in a long time.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the wake of the ESPN/Glazer/Favre mess, PFT is launching a scorecard to keep up with which "insiders" are doing the best job ...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/24/were-keeping-score-starting-now/

Somewhere, Chris Mortensen just cringed and doesn't know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted