1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8: Steve Young is calling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 22, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And let's start off with one of America's favorite idiots....

Browns suspend Winslow for one game
    Tom Withers / Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns unveiled their own defensive scheme to shut down Kellen Winslow.

The team suspended its talented, emotional tight end for one game without pay for critical comments Winslow made following Sunday's loss at Washington.

Winslow, who spent three days at the Cleveland Clinic earlier this month because of an undisclosed illness, revealed he had a staph infection -- for the second time -- before lashing out at Browns general manager Phil Savage as the Pro Bowler's teammates dressed after their 14-11 loss to the Redskins.

Winslow complained that the team, which has had at least six cases of staph in the past three years, asked him to conceal his illness. He also vented at Savage for not checking on him while he was in the hospital, said he felt the Browns were treating him like a "piece of meat," and said he considered requesting a trade.

Savage shot back with a 352-word statement on Tuesday, suspending Winslow and calling his comments and behavior "unwarranted, inappropriate, and unnecessarily disparaging to our organization.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081021/SPORTS0101/810210457/1361

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Would the Lions take him? All the Browns need in return is Leigh Bodden.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I figured he was due to say something dumb.

4. prezclinton

Who? Me or Winslow?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Romo says he's out.
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=228BC5F8-E720-05AB-B20574693851750E

Can you say NFC East basement?

6. prezclinton

If the Cowboys established the run before he got hurt, they'd be far less worried. But instead they tried to please TO and now they have to depend on Johnson.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it moved when I read that about the Cowboys.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Winslow is a blowhard, but I think he's right in this situation, especially if the Browns really did try to hush him up.

I think it's scandalous the Browns have had that many staph infections over that time period.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Haha, Winslow.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

SI's Don Banks makes the case for the Lions going 0-16:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/10/21/lions/index.html?eref=T1

Their schedule for the rest of the year: Washington, at Chicago, Jacksonvile, at Carolina, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Minny, at Indy, New Orleans, at Green Bay.

Their best chance would seem to be Minny at home in Week 14.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Suddenly, I might be much more inclined to watch the Lions on Thanksgiving! :D

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

What, tradition isn't enough for you? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted