1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8: Cade McNown's parking spot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 23, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Plunkett/Manning

Good careers...

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

last time QBs went 1-2 was '99 with Couch- McNabb, neither was great.
    Manning-Leaf was '98, I think we know how that turned out. Bledsoe-Mirer in '93, no and no way. Plunket-Manning in '71 may be the closest

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Perhaps we should wait until one or both of these guys goes on to have a great career.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Just sayin'. A year ago, Cam Newton was on his way to the Hall of Fame. Now he's being compared to Vince Young.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You wonder, eh?

So ... Warren Moon blasts people for having the unmitigated call to criticize Cam Newton? Too freaking bad.

Moon didn't like that he was being compared only to quarterback of a similar race. The guess here is that he would have claimed that any comparisons to Caucasian quarterbacks would have been racially motivated, too.

No question that Moon went through some incredible crap, including having to win five straight Grey Cups to help prove his legitimacy as an NFL-caliber talent. But has he really been reading the criticism or is he just shooting off his mouth, thinking he's the savior for Vince Young, Cam Newton, etc.?

Has Moon really been paying attention to the fact that for all the rhetoric about Newton and leadership that Newton hasn't really pieced together what leadership means? It doesn't mean talk about it all the time and maybe eventually it will happen. For all his obvious physical talents, Newton is entirely too much about his image and his endorsements all too often. He was last year when the world was showering him with praise.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

There you go with that "leadership" nonsense again. Still think Delhomme is a better QB than Cutler?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why did the Tillman thread get locked?

Anyway, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/stopping-megatron-earns-charles-tillman-player-of-the-week-award/

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Physically, no way ... as much as you're dying to bait me into this. Without question, Delhomme didn't get beat on the way Cutler has by suspect lines and offensive packages designed to send almost every non-lineman out for a pattern. Cutler also never had to deal with the ticking time bomb then known as Steve Smith earlier in his career.

Good to see you and the other faithful of the Bears dying to defend Cutler, though I don't really see it, much the way I doubt you'll understand what Delhomme brought to the table in Charlotte (and it wasn't a rifle arm or the desire to be an endorsement machine). Sure, he might light up the Panthers' defense on Sunday. That's not a terribly impressive feat.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Luck is under unique pressures because not only does he get compared to the guy who drafted him, but he also gets compared to the legend who he replaces. There are a lot of quarterbacks who would crack under that pressure. We got rid of Peyton Manning for nothing so we could get you?

Luck clearly has the mental makeup to handle it, but he's also aided by these things, in no particular order:

1. Denver's so-far mediocre record.
    2. That the Colts gutted the roster, so it's not like he'd have, say, Peyton's center snapping to him.
    3. That the one person on offense they did keep was Reggie Wayne, who is having a phenomenal year. It always seemed like Wayne, with Manning, could never shake the feeling that he would always like Marvin Harrison better, even after he retired. No worries on that with Luck. Not with Donnie "I Can't Shed My Man To Save My Life" Avery on the other side.
    4. And, of course, that Luck has played... I wouldn't say well, but he's had a couple fourth-quarter comebacks already, he seems to be cool in the pocket, and unlike Manning he can make plays with his legs. In Peyton's rookie season, the two short touchdowns Luck ran for against Cleveland would have been touchdown passes -- or, more likely, incompletions or interceptions.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed -- thanks for posting. A great read on a couple players I remember from the early 1990s.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I'll say this for Newton (and he's a young idiot like we all used to be — just with a national profile and zillions of dollars in the bank) ... he is pretty active in children's charities. Particularly Locks of Love, which strikes a personal chord. He seeks praise and attention almost everywhere else, but he tends to keep his good works out of clear view. After the season, the Panthers need to give him some media counseling (and they probably already have). Send him to a leadership seminar. He doesn't need Warren Moon to get him to grow up, because that obviously hasn't been working.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

IF they should go on to have 'great' careers, that is -- let's define 'great' as hof-worthy, or close to hof-worthy (frequent playoff games/multiple pro bowls) -- i'd absolutely say it would be the first time. the one that comes closest according to this thread was plunkett/archie manning, but even there plunkett was considered a monumental bust until he landed with the raiders to win a couple of super bowls -- and it was perceived by many that they carried him more than vice versa. i come not to debate plunkett's merits, however... as for a. manning, he wasn't ever considered 'great,' just a POTENTIAL great held back by having his body ravaged behind an impossibly bad o-line. a poster child for great prospects who spend their careers on injury lists who NEVER get to play for a reasonably good team. in 11 seasons with the infamous 'aints of n.o. archie's record was something like 35-100.

with the way we judge qbs around here nowadays, where winning is all that matters for OUR qbs, just imagine how he would've been savaged by some hatahs....

Draft saved Draft deleted