1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8: Cade McNown's parking spot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 23, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, qt. I posted on the Week 9 thread about the ridiculous fan expectations on the guy, but ... Smith was 18 for 19 with one drop by a WR. Now is really not the time to be getting into What's Wrong With Alex.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

LTL, I'm just trying to be realistic about the guy. He's tough, has shown an amazing inner strength in persevering through Nolan/Singletary/Harbaugh and is trending upwards.

I have been spoiled, having had the joy of witnessing the brilliance of Brodie, Montana, Young and Garcia (I loved that guy). 18 for 19 is amazing. But I'm not going to let that blind me from the fact that he does not avoid the sack very well and more than half of the 18 were short dinks and at least 5 did NOT get the first down so those were not much better than an incompletion.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Even though Seattle and the Patriots loom in two out of the next three games, there is not much on the rest of the schedule that the Jets should fear (Rams, Cards, Jags, Titans and Chargers).

TEBOW will lead the Jets out of the industrial cesspools of northern New Jersey and into the promised land. Amen.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Being a winner" is fleeting, as Kyle Orton also found out.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The sacks are very likely not all Smith -- it's probably in the game plan.

You've got the best defense in the league, therefore the plan is likely to do the least risky thing possible. Throw short (although Smith is fifth in the league in yards per attempt), don't force it if no one's open, and eat the ball and take the sack rather than risk fumbling as you try to get outside the tackle box or getting your arm hit as you try to throw it away. Punting and playing field position is not a bad strategy with that defense and running game.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay I'll accept that.

What I remember though about Harbaugh when he almost took the Colts to the SB? He was a scrambler who made plays outside the pocket. Yet now he's hamstringing Smith? Hey, they're winning.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Harbaugh is a former QB yet has always favored a big run scheme and top notch defense. Even at Standford he didn't go spread and let Luck put up 5,000 passing yards and the such.

Draft saved Draft deleted