1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Where have you gone, Bert Jones?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

and the USFL

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I think Noel Devine, Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt will be in the conversation a few years from now.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Now THAT may be better re: NFL talent three-deep at the same time, which is what I am looking for.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Another one I just thought of ...

1984 Florida had Lorenzo Hampton (senior), Neal Anderson (junior) and John L. Williams (senior). All had pretty good NFL careers (though Hampton didn't last long).

1982 Florida had those three plus James Jones, who played 10 years in the NFL and was a pretty good all-purpose back.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Owen Shmitt and a couple smurfs.

Owen Schmitt?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Should have quit with the great batting average.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't forget Reggie Dupard, who was two years behind ED and James, I think.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Two years apart, two seasons together. While I'm here...
    ... can you pick one, please? College or NFL success? Because if you're talking college, Thomas (4,595 yards) comes close to my Penn Staters' combined 4,936 all by himself.

oop, as I recall, D.J. decided he wanted to be a baseball player instead. That didn't work out so well, either. (Shame, really. His No. 42 was the first PSU jersey I ever owned, during that wonderful '86 championship run.) And my one memory of Blair Thomas from that season was his 90-something-yard kickoff return during the beatdown of Syracuse. At the time, I was ticked that they didn't leave him in to score the touchdown.

Unless you want to go back to the days of Blanchard and Davis, that Miami backfield is a decent pick.
    And you make a good point about the Pony Express, Bubbler. ;D

9. Simon_Cowbell

Dupard was an NFL zero.

What a Pats bust.

10. Simon_Cowbell

A threesome who was on the same college team (at the same time) who availed themselves to be the three best NFL talents.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I think this post might end the conversation.
    The first three are feature backs in run-based offenses, and Davenport is a pretty good role player.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

So I suppose Mike Gundy knocks Sanders and Thomas out of the conversation, eh?

And I have to admit, this is one hell of a threadjack. Nice work.

Draft saved Draft deleted