1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 15, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure if anybody else mentioned this, but the Packers placed Randall Cobb on the IR/designated for return list with a broken fibula Tuesday. Baltimore's Matt Elam dove into Cobb's legs as Cobb tried to catch the ball Sunday.

That is at least two major injuries on similar hits that I've seen since the NFL started its crackdown on blows to the head. That is also how the Steelers' Heath Miller blew out his knee late in 2012.

Defenders warned this was going to happen and it seems this is going to be a consequence of the rule changes and fines.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

System guy.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Well, if you can't hit high, there's only one other direction left to go.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A busted knee won't make you kill yourself when you are 45.

5. outofplace

True, but the NFL has pretty much ignored defensive players pointing that out and insisting there will be more leg injuries due to the focus on keeping hits down.

93Devil, you have a point. I just think the NFL isn't really trying to protect players. If it was, it would hold teams more accountable than it currently does for mistreated concussions or silly crap like the Patriots refusing to admit that Amendola had a concussion until yesterday.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know you're trolling, but it was the system of the guy who wanted nothing to do with him this season.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good to give Keenum a shot. I said when he was in college he could play in the NFL at least as a backup. Might as well see what he can do. Schaub's confidence is probably shot right now and his body is hurting, too.

I agree with the point about low hits. Where the heck do you want defenders to hit players? Knees? Thighs? Shoulders? Head? Football has always been a violent sport and bodies are just too big nowadays and make too much of an impact upon collision.

Was watching a game recently and someone mentioned how you now have to be 300 lbs., absolute minimum, to play on an offensive line. Weight restrictions, anyone? If it works in Pop Warner league, maybe it's worth a try.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I meant he was a system quarterback in college. Not sure his game can translate into the NFL. Look at Harrell and Colt Brennan.

10. outofplace

He has had some success at the NFL level, so that comparison doesn't really hold up.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Having seen that play over and over again, the Packers have to be ecstatic that it was only a broken fibula.

And you are right about the fix being worse than the original problem. It used to be that quarterbacks took it upon themselves not to lead their receivers into such hits. Then the NFL started fining defenders. These seam routes and deep slants have only come into vogue the last 10 years or so.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What happened to penalties that stop the clock resulting in a 10-second runoff?

Seahawks got a holding penalty in the final seconds of the half on a play where Wilson scrambled and got tackled inbounds with no timeouts left. There were 10 seconds left at the end of the play and the clock would have run out without the penalty.

They got a field goal because of the penalty.

Draft saved Draft deleted