1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You da man!! :)

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

He beat me to it on Nielsen.

That 1983 Oilers squad was one of the worst in history. Not just a 2-14 record but losing but tons of points 2-14. Same with the 1983 Bucs. Just awful.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oilers also were 1-8 the year before in the strike year and 3-13 in '84. A combined 6-35.

Talk about the dark ages.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've just come across this on NBC Sports Channel while flipping channels, and saw something remarkable.

CFL, Hamilton vs. Toronto.

The score: Hamilton 2, Toronto 1.

I hear an RBI single in the seventh is the difference.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the Chiefs roll into the first Denver game with a 9-0 record but their margin of error remains so razor thin.

If nothing else, Kansas City's early success shows the value of second-half turnovers and second-half timeouts. In an era where points and yards are cheap, where average quarterbacks lead monstrous fourth-quarter comebacks, the ability to control the ball and the clock goes counters to this trend -- but could be even more effective.

The Chiefs have only played one medium-to-elite QB so far (Romo. Not counting 2013 Eli) and they won that game by a single point with a debatable call.

I'm not sold that Houston will just lay down this weekend. They're angry.

Once Kansas City gets through the bye week - even at 8-1? - I think they lose 5 of their last 7 (twice to Broncos, twice to Chargers and the Colts). That would be 10-6 and a Wild Card. One and done.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, dammit, I'm da man!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That might not be unrealistic. Would that be seen as a disappointment, given the start, or would people be able to step back, remember the disaster that was the last two seasons and realize that making the playoffs a year after being the worst team in the NFL is a pretty amazing turnaround even if they lose in the first round of the playoffs. This wouldn't exactly be like what happened when Marty was there.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Chefs are tied for the league lead with 10 interceptions (defensively) and have returned three of those for touchdowns.

Texans have thrown 11 INTs, five of which have been returned for touchdowns.

What's the over/under on KC pick-sixes this week?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, that's the CFL for you.

It's not uncommon for a team deep in its own territory to concede a safety rather than punt from its end zone and give the opponent the ball on, say, the plus-40. Don't know if that's what happened in this game or not, but safeties are much more common in the CFL than the NFL or NCAA.

NBC Sports Network has been airing a fair number of CFL games (from TSN) all season and will be airing the playoffs in November. There are quite a few former US collegiate players on every CFL roster.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not sold on Kansas City being anything special just yet. I'd like to see them beat a good team (no, Dallas doesn't qualify) first.

Houston's offensive line and receivers really need to work on their tackling technique to prevent all these interceptions from being returned for touchdowns.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Other than the Broncos twice in a three-week span (Nov. 17 & Dec. 1) and the Colts in Week 16, I don't think the Chiefs play anyone else who currently has a winning record the rest of the year.

(The Browns could have a winning record when they face KC in two weeks, but they'd have to win at Green Bay on Sunday first. Likewise with the Chargers, who would have to go 3-1 the next four weeks when they have three road games, two on the East Coast).

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Goodness, is it that bad? I know the last-place teams get an easier schedule, but only three games against winning teams all year? That's how the 86 Chiefs went 10-6 and got into the playoffs for the only time in an 18-year span.

Draft saved Draft deleted