1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 thread: The ghost of Bob Avellini

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 19, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but do you dispute my point about the Jets? They really don't give a shit. I'm surprised they even sat him a quarter.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

[​IMG]

Hell yes!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Trivia: Who is the Bears' all-time leading passer?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Virginia Halas?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Todd Bouman is really still in the league? First time I saw him was when he was in 10th grade, basketball game. He was a small school legend in Minnesota. His older brother was also on the team. Todd was an amazing dunker, something you just didn't see in rural Minnesota. Then he went to basketball, played football, then basketball as like a 23-year-old. I have no idea how he's still hanging on.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My brother's 21st birthday (hey, maybe it was near yours, because he's class of '89) in Broad Ripple was legendary because he had five big ol' shots before I arrived -- at 12:15 -- to the Monkey's Tail. Then we went to the bar by the Broad Ripple Steakhouse (I'm blanking what it was called then), had another power drink, and then we dragged him to Connor's Pub north of the canal, whereupon we realized he was majorly, majorly fucked up. This was 12:30. So being the clear-thinking types we were, we went back across the canal, and down to the Casbah, a basement bar. I went to feed the jukebox, and behind me I heard a roar and the sounds of tables and chairs furiously moving as if a brawl was starting. I turned around, and it was people fleeing as my brother power-ralphed all over the table (he had Chinese earlier that night, it appeared).

We dragged him upstairs, and draw a dead-guy profile around him with some drywall scraps from a nearby construction project, before we figured I'd better take him home and stay up all night with him. This was 12:45. I had just gotten a new Mazda 323, so I spent the ride back to Carmel stopping by the side of the road and shoving my brother out so he wouldn't puke in my car.

I did end up staying up all night. This was John-Bonham-swallow-your-puke drunk. I've never seen anyone that drunk before or since.

But to the point, even my brother wasn't drunk enough to jump in (or fall in) that fetid canal.

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Trivia Answer: Sid Luckman, who threw for over 14,000 yards, a large sum for his era. Furthering the notion of the Bears' sorry QB tradition, the guy wore jersey #42, is over a decade older than George Blanda...and threw for more yardage than any other Chicago Bears quarterback ever. The guy played his last game in 1950.

Don't forget about Kyle Orton and Jim Miller adding to the legacy. And they were the GOOD ones (compared to their peers anyway).

Why did the Bears never go after McNabb?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Love the Casbah. Mrs. Bubbler also spent her 21st in Broad Ripple and the Casbah was prominently featured.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Eagles dangled him that direction, couple years back . . . Bears said uh, uh.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not old enough to remember him QB'ing the Bears.

But I did get to see him pitch for the AAA Iowa Oaks a few years later when he was trying to make it to the Bigs with the White Sox.

Couldn't find the plate with a road map.

And YGBFKM, I started following the NFL & Bears during the Avellini, Evans, Phipps era too.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll also point out, if it hasn't been on some link, that Old Man Halas wore #7 when he played,
    and hadn't permitted its use for a number of years -- until Avellini, because he liked him so much.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Avellini is a golden god.

Draft saved Draft deleted