1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 thread: The ghost of Bob Avellini

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 19, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Over-under on sacks by the Redskins this week: 8

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My only hope is that someone takes over Mike Martz's body and decides that running the ball is an effective method of playing professional football and the same ’Skins run defense from Sunday night shows up. Ultimately, while I think Washington will win, it has a habit of playing up or down to the competition and making every game close. So I hold out hope the Bears can make it close and maybe get lucky at home. Hell, they'd probably be better off going 3-and-out most times so Hester can get as many touches as possible.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Over.

As long as ghosts are playing LT and RT, and Martz keeps calling for empty-backfield, zero-tight end, seven-step drops on 3rd-and-10 from the outer extremities of field goal distance with the Bears trailing 16-13 in the third quarter having already allowed five sacks.

aka "being committed to the run," as Lovie calls it.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm impressed someone remembered Bob Avellini.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bob Avellini was better than half the guys who started last week.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Probably still is.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's a fierce debate -- divided into Vince Evans, Mike Phipps and Bob Avellini camps -- but my vote goes to Avellini as the best Bears QB of the Neill Armstrong era.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What about some love for other great No. 7s: Ron Jaworksi, Bert Jones, Dan Pastorini, John Elway?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think Bob Avellini still hangs out at Faces on Rush St, even though it's been closed for 20 years.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

way over.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted