1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 Thread -- does Big Ben Love Playing Football, Too?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 20, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This week's Bucs-Patriots game is at Wembley Stadium in London. It is nominally a Bucs home game.

I figure if they had really wanted to give the Bucs a home game in England, they'd have scheduled the bloody game at Old Trafford.

2. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

Bears sign Cutler to an extension through 2013:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4581192

It says the thinking was to take less money now, as opposed to no money if there's a lockout. Plus he'll get one more big contract in 2013 if he pans out.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jeff Fisher showed up to speak at a luncheon today wearing a Peyton Manning jersey because "I just wanted to feel like a winner."

[​IMG]

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091020/PROMO/91020053/Jeff+Fisher+dons+Peyton+Manning+jersey

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow. I guess you could call it a motivational tactic, but it sure seems like a big F. U. to his team.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Didn't Jim Mora junior get fired from the Falcons for something similar to that?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What's he got to lose? His team just took its worst beating ever and his owner threw him under the bus afterward. Might as well try anything to reverse the course of the season.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If coaching doesn't work out, maybe he could do some TV spots with Manning ...

[​IMG]

8. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

No comment on Cutler?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm feeling some buyers' remorse (or whatever the fanboiloser equivalent is) on Cutler for Orton. I never hated Orton as a prospect, I just hated having to hear fans rave about his "will to win" whenever he'd got 7-for-19 for 94 yards and 2 INTs, only to have the defense score two touchdowns and the Bears win 14-3.

But Cutler is still on pace for 3800 yards and 30+ touchdowns with this awful receiving corp and offensive line.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Care to explain?

11. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

Look up two posts. ;D

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Six games does not a career make. Orton's playing great, but Cutler's winning games in ways Orton can't. I'd like to see a little more consistency, but a running game would help. The Bears traded for him to build their team around, so it's good to see they're putting their money where their mouth is. I just hope the bean counters don't use the extension as an excuse to ignore the rest of the roster going forward.

Draft saved Draft deleted