1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 Thread -- does Big Ben Love Playing Football, Too?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 20, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't see a running thread for Week 7 yet, so here goes.

Minnesota at Pittsburgh looks like the big game this week. As I mentioned on the previous thread, there should be a ton of points scored in this one. Both of these teams can light it up and I don't trust either defense against a quality opponent.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Every time I look up Roethlisberger has thrown for another 350 yards.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm taking the under in Pitt-Minn. It's at 45.5 now.

Also like Minny +4, Indy -13, Oakland +6.5, Philly -7, the Skins-Eagles under and the Giants-Cards over.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I lost with the under (45.5) on Balto-Minnesota only because the teams went nuts in the 4th. It was 20-10 with like 10 minutes to play, a very defensive game after the Vikes went up 14-0. I knew it would stay low. Then the teams went into bizarro offense in the last 7-8 minutes.

I'd go with the under again this week. It will be a slugfest, a 14-13 sort of thing, I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. outofplace

He is averaging 314.5 per game, second only to Peyton Manning, though Roethlisberger actually leads the league in total passing yards because the Steelers have played one more game than the Colts.

The Steelers have been headed this way for a while, but is still odd to see them as a passing team. Up 10 with under four minutes remaining Sunday, they actually threw a first-down pass to Heath Miller to help put the game away.

The last time the Steelers went pass-happy by design was 2003 with Tommy Maddox, and that team went 6-10 and missed the playoffs because Maddox was exposed as a one-year wonder. Before that, you would have to go back to the 1995 team that reached Super Bowl XXX, but that was more by necessity than design. They sustained some injuries on defense and the running game was decent but not great, which forced Bill Cowher to open things up.

This year is a combination of the two. Part of this is the trust the coaching staff has in Roethlisberger, but I also think they realize they can't just rely on the defense like they did a year ago.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Combined margin of victory in Pats/Bucs & Colts/Rams games? +50? +75? +100?

Be interesting to see the crowd reaction Monday night if the Skins get behind early against the Eagles, which could easily happen. Might we see Zorn let go during the bye week that follows?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Will that be an Eagle home game?

Redskin fans and Monday nights do not go so well together.

12 pages of tickets right now on Stubhub for this game and all for under $109. Probably between 500 and 1,000 tickets.

8. outofplace

They should have fired him already, rather than slowly undermining his authority, which is what is happening now.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Top-rated quarterback in the NFL on pace for a 5,000-yard season. Not going to maintain that pace, of course, but it's bizarre to say that about a Steelers quarterback after six games.

10. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

This wouldn't be happening if Barry Foster were still alive.

11. outofplace

Ha! Actually, Rashard Mendenhall kind of reminds me of Foster. Physical runner with better speed than you would think for his size. Good hands and blocking skills. Way too careless with the football.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

With Holmes, Wallace, Ward, Miller and Mendenhall, he has some serious skill to throw the ball to. Two deep, two underneath and a train coming out of the backfield.

Teams cannot blitz him because he can shrug off the first blitzer.

The way to beat him is to rush four, sit back and hopefully he will force a pass (which he does a lot).

Draft saved Draft deleted