1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: John Elway's not horsing around

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When the Dilfer > Marino pops up it pisses me off, because that is the outliner of the concept. A concept that seems to be holding true.

I will always take the player who can look good and can win games, but looks like hell at times, over the guy who never wins shit, but looks good when they never win shit.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Could you show me where, in the historical NFL standings, a quarterback has ever won a game?

3. 93Devil

No problem.

Rick, which position has won the most MVPs?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So when you say you want a "quarterback who wins," you meant MVPs?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. 93Devil

Colts with Manning.

Colts without Mannning.

Add then subtract then you can have a number you can put your head around.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Seriously, 93D, you complain about people always jumping on your arguments, but yet you continue to make simplistic and reductionist arguments. It's honestly like arguing with a sixth grader.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a whole lot more simplistic than saying "quarterbacks don't win games, teams do." The quarterback is the most important player. Thank God Dilfer happened so everyone can say "Dilfer > Marino" and give themselves a chuckle about it. But Jim Kelly had substantially better stats than Troy Aikman did -- ergo, Kelly > Aikman? Marino had better stats than Montana throughout the 1980s -- ergo, Marino > Montana?

If Montana didn't win four Super Bowls, I don't think he'd be close to the argument about greatest quarterbacks of all time. But he did, so he is.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Does Kelly suddenly get better if Norwood makes his kick? If so, why?

Does Brady become less good if Vinaiteri missed a few of the big kicks he made? If so, why?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And round and round we go.....

11. LongTimeListener

This is again the "simplistic and reductionist" stance. Winning is a factor in judging quarterbacks. It is not THE factor. But it definitely is a factor.

To answer the specific questions, if Norwood makes the kick, Kelly still was not better than Aikman IMO; if Vinatieri misses a few of the big kicks, then yeah, there would be more questions about whether Brady can lead more than a do-or-die field-goal drive. In fact I think it's a differentiator between Brady and Montana that at the end of Brady's two finest seasons as a professional, his teams lost Super Bowls by notably underperforming on offense.

12. LongTimeListener

That is probably a very good idea. Last year, for instance, the all-purpose running Tim Tebow Sucks/Is A Deity thread really limited the discussion of Tebow to only five or six threads at a time. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted