1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: John Elway's not horsing around

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good point on Indy hosting major events. Forgot about all the NCAA stuff that's been there. The Super Bowl is another animal, though.
    And on second thought, maybe Indy isn't really a fair comparison to Jacksonville. Indy did get the new stadium, after all, which ought to keep the Colts tied down there for a long time. Good times or bad.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to know at what point in that game the photo was taken. This is what we mean by context. Was that photo taken with 3 minutes left in the game and the Jags losing 27-7 the year they went 5-11?
    Interesting some brought up the Super Bowl in Jacksonville. The image of the city was largely forged by bored, spoiled sportswriters and commentators who seemed to have found out when they got there that were wasn't a Bourbon Street or South Beach. There's none of that in Indy, either. In rained occasionally and was about 55 degrees the first part of the Super Bowl week in Jacksonville. It was sunny and high 60s and low 70s from Friday through Sunday. That's late spring in Indy. Wonder how much the media will trash Indy when the wind-chill factor is -2?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36524-2005Jan25.html

(scroll down past the giant L.L. Bean ad)

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I said the top bleachers at one end were completely empty.--FACT

It would not have mattered if they were available for use or not, there still would not have been fans in those seats.

What about the tarps covering the other endzone seats? Are those being used for the Northern Florida Truck and Tractor Pull next friday, Friday, FRIDAY?

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: hondo is President of the Greater Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What, Tuscaloosa was booked?

Awesome.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite passage:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All the fun parts of Jacksonville are at the beach. To get to the beach, sportswriters needed rental cars, which you usually don't at the Super Bowl. Sportswriters I knew were warned of this by me, and many still didn't rent cars. So my sympathies for their suffering in Jacksonville are limited.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't get the hatred for Indianapolis.

I've covered a lot of events there and with the exception of New Orleans, I can't think of another city where everything is walking distance away from each other. There aren't many places where once you get to your hotel, you won't need a car or a cab the whole time you're there unless weather is an issue, which obviously, it can be...

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What you don't seem to be getting is that those seats above the end zone in question are there only one week of the year, for Florida-Georgia. And this is the first Monday night game in Jaguars history that was the Monday preceding Florida-Georgia. Not only was no one allowed to sit there (duh ... they were still under construction, safety issues, etc.) but they wouldn't have been there any other time of the season, except this week.
    Are you always this dense?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Downtown Indy is very convenient, and even if you happen to drive the wrong way down a one-way street and make an illegal U-turn in front of a cop, he just lets you slide because he's too busy reading the paper.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The combine trip was always my favorite trip of the year. All the big hotels are in one downtown area. The stadium is within walking distance. Great restaurants within walking distance.

There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple and Indy does a great job at keeping it simple. I've been at Super Bowls where the media hotel is an hour from where teams are practicing.

Draft saved Draft deleted