1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: John Elway's not horsing around

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 19, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

If the Jags wanted UF every weekend they shoulda drafted Jesus. Then the yokel would have been really happy. A good, white, short-haired, home-schooled Christian QB directing the local 53! :D :D :D

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You don't know that. If you do, head to Vegas and starting making some real money. All I'm saying is the the bottom 7-8 teams in attendance in the league ought to be held by the same standards. To single out Jacksonville and ignore the same problems in Cincy, Miami, Tampa Bay and Oakland is to demonstrate a decided lack of context and fairness that your editors wouldn't put up with if it was in your copy.

3. mb

mb Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Um. This is pretty much what everyone at this site does all the time when posting here.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Miami and Jacksonville situations are completely different - for three decades Dolphins were one of the best supported teams in the league.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As I've said before, I have long visiting experience with Jacksonville as my parents retired to Ponte Vedra Beach in the late '80s. It is my opinion that the Jaguars COULD succeed there, but that it would take a much more aggressive and smart management than Weaver, who by all accounts is a great guy as far as sports team owners go, seems willing or able to put in place. I mean, how much evidence does it take that Del Rio will never win enough games to sell tickets?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jacksonvillians are too busy living the Salt Life, whatever the fuck that is.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Joe Flacco keeps going down the totem pole of NFL QBs. Dalton will pass him soon; Cam Newton is just about past him already.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some would say that stadium is nearly empty. Hondo would call it "one hell of a crowd" :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tampa has proven itself to be a great party city capable of hosting a Super Bowl.
    St. Louis is a pretty good sports town.
    Oakland, for all its struggles, can always fall back on the image of the Black Hole fans and the glory years of the 70s to rally support.
    Those towns all have something to sell when times are tough.

Jacksonville? Let's count the ways...
    1) Not a long enough history yet to endear itself to generations of fans the way those other franchises have. The team has been competitive more often than not, but in a mediocre way.
    Sucking gets people excited, thanks to high draft picks. The Jags haven't had a top-five pick since 1996.
    Winning gets people excited. Going somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7 (as the Jaguars have done in eight of their first 16 seasons) does not. That's just a cocktease to your fans.
    Even the stadium is kind of "blah." I've never been to it, I'm sure it's nice, but it's not a destination the way some of the newer stadiums are.

2) The Lynyrd Skynyrd factor. Jacksonville is in an area of the country that is, shall we say, unrefined? It doesn't have the things that make it a "destination" like Tampa or Miami. This fact was highlighted by ...

3) Super Bowl XXXIX. Do NOT underestimate its impact on this discussion. The mediocrity of the stadium and the city (no offense, Jacksonvillians) was put under a microscope from the time it was picked to host the Super Bowl until long after the game was over. For many media members with a platform, it was like dating an ugly girl. Sure, she puts out, but you're bored and constantly noticing her faults. Meanwhile, the hot chick at the gym just smiled at you and invited you to party at her house next time.
    Unfortunately, Jacksonville's reputation hasn't recovered. So, when the team falls into a malaise it gives still-bitter talk radio hosts something to point to and say, "See! I told you Jacksonville sucks!"

The sad thing is, I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Indianapolis and Jacksonville. If the Colts slip into a funk for a few years and attendance dips post-Manning, it'll be interesting to see if some of these same arguments don't crop up about that town.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Batman, there were some in Indy who thought the crowds would be thinning already, but they haven't. The stadium has been full of people, not just empty seats of season ticket holders, though, no shock, the secondary market has hit the toilet. I think fans will be more forgiving about the Colts than the Pacers, in part because every Hoosier is a self-styled basketball expert, and in part because no Colt has yet been involved in gunplay outside a strip club.

One difference, too, is that Indy won't screw up the Super Bowl (except for not having warm weather), because it has extensive experience hosting large-scale sporting events. So it's not like major media will be surprised about what they find in Indy.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Awesome

Draft saved Draft deleted