1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Generic QB number, generic thread title, generic team name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 21, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Rodney Peete was a sixth round pick, Barkley fourth, Booty in the fifth, Rob Johnson fourth... Leinart, Sanchez and Marinovich weren't good pros, but 1-for-4 is a lot different than 1-for-8, and it's probably more that the sample size of highly regarded USC quarterbacks is too small, and spans too many years, to make any conclusions anyway. (In fact, if you're trying to determine "what leads to QB success in the NFL?", the pedigree of the college program is probably like 50th on the list. Mahomes went to Oklahoma, but Aaron Rodgers went to football powerhouse California, Lamar Jackson went to Louisville... Drew Brees went to Purdue, which is a power conference school but not a national title contender.)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The point stands that people tend to overestimate USC qbs. Cal, Stanford, Washington and Washington State and UCLA have had better NFL qbs than USC.

Even Oregon has Fouts and now Herbert (nm about Akili Smith and Mariotta)

3. sgreenwell

Yeah, but the sample size of great Stanford QBs is like, 2 or 3, depending on what you think of Andrew Luck and Jim Plunkett. I think the much more common viewpoint is that USC quarterbacks are "overrated," which is what you're espousing. My argument would be that no particular school is really all that adept at producing NFL quarterbacks, because the skills needed to be an NFL quarterback are incredibly rare, and a college program doesn't need an elite NFL quarterback to win. (It certainly helps, obviously, but plenty of college national championships have been won with guys who barely get a cup of coffee in the NFL.)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And Elway and John Brodie.

5. sgreenwell

Elway was the one of the two or three that I was counting, since I'm not sure if Luck or Plunkett counts. Brodie's pro career started in 1957, so I don't really think he's relevant.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don’t care and have never cared about betting lines. Can’t win by half a point anyway.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

USC QBs overrated? Wait, didn't Pat Haden QB the Rams to an NFC championship game? And made the'77 Pro Bowl?

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="sgreenwell, post: 4728744, member: 9457]Mahomes went to Oklahoma[/quote]

upload_2020-10-21_11-33-37.jpeg

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's not about you. Think about the children for once. Sheesh.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mahomes went to Texas Tech, not Oklahoma.

Edit: Regan beat me to it.

I agree with your overall point. It is a bit of a stretch to just assume USC quarterbacks are going to flop. Palmer certainly didn't, and I think he was on an even better trajectory before he was injured.

I think anybody who thinks they have discovered the perfect formula for identifying future great quarterbacks or future flops is kidding themselves. There are so many factors that are difficult to measure, mostly because so much of the position is between the guy's ears.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Only one double-digit line on the board

Just
    Expanding
    The
    Spread

Cosmo likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was the talent around Darnold really that overwhelming? I'm not so sure.

It has certainly been underwhelming during his time with the Jets.

Draft saved Draft deleted