1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Generic QB number, generic thread title, generic team name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: WFT.

I'm a fan, and Bostic should have been arrested for assault for that hit. I certainly hope he is cut. He deserves to lose his job for that.

Also, the Cowboys' offensive line is just utter garbage right now. They've gotten Prescott and Dalton killed now. You can have all the skill position talent in the world, but if you can't offer basic protection, it's doesn't matter.

WFT's next four: vs. NYG, at DET, vs. CIN, at DAL ... three of those four are absolutely winnable, and depending on what Lions team shows up, the fourth may be as well. If they have any chance of winning the division, they have to go 3-1 in that stretch, because the closing stretch is going to be rough: at PIT, at SF, vs. SEA, vs. CAR, at PHI.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A case could be made that if Lamar Jackson was in Glendale, AZ last night, he would have been the third-best QB in town.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He would have been.

But Murray’s has bad games, too, this year. Seattle’s defense makes everyone look good. Cam Newton had one of the best games of
    His life against the Seahawks this year. Seattle’s more like Smidgen of Boom these days.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And as Batman's graphic shows, Metcalf began the play on the opposite side of the field. It was an unbelievable play.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That Next Gen is awesome.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He made up about 7-8 yards, which is amazing since his pass route took him to that area.

But who were the Cardinals that had a chance to chip Metcalf and slow him down? You don't have to Hines Ward a guy, but the difference between a TD and a tackle might be making Metcalf break stride or at least almost bring him to a stop.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Leon Lett weeps.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love hustle plays and that was definitely one of the best; however, yeah just get in front of him somehow and make him break stride.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you watch the actual replay, by the time Metcalf gets to the 25-yard line he's clear of all the traffic. He ran right by two guys in the first 10-15 yards, neither of whom realized he was there. The only one with a real chance to chip him was No. 98, who nearly blocked Russell Wilson in the back, stumbled, and almost accidentally ran into Metcalf in what would have looked like one of those videos where a minivan tries to beat the train across the tracks had they collided.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There were really only couple of guys in question here.

No. 43 was a couple yards ahead of Metcalf in terms of yard line when the ball was intercepted, but he was also several yards closer to the sideline than Metcalf and there was an offensive lineman between them, so he had no chance of getting in the way. Metcalf ran within inches of No. 96, but he came up very quickly from behind the guy, and by the time he realized Metcalf was there, it was too late -- Metcalf was already past him.

One guy did take a shot at him -- No. 98, according to the graphic (I can't tell on the video because he's a blur) -- coming from the inside, but he misjudged Metcalf's speed and completely whiffed at the Cards' 25-yard line. You can see him fly past, just behind Metcalf, at the 42-44-second mark in this video:

If you stop the video just before he goes by, you can see he has the angle on Metcalf -- he's about a yard ahead of him and a step away, and it looks like they're on a collision course. But Metcalf was faster than he anticipated, so when their paths cross right at the 25, Metcalf is a step ahead.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted