1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Bob Avellini is no Matt Cassel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Off topic from the NFL thread, but not sure where else this fits. OOP's post here made me think to post about it.

Was watching my nephew play in a junior high football game last night. A kid goes down after a horribly-missed horse-collar. We are all freaking out in the stands. You know junior high: everybody knows all the other moms.

They finally walk him over to the bench and call mom down (we are all thankful his neck isn't broken). We see the trainer talking to her and her freaking out and putting her hands on his face. We are all trying to read her lips and speculating. Broken arm. Broken collar bone. And then...

The trainer, while Mom holds his legs, pops his shoulder back into place.

Just kind of crazy seeing that stuff 100 feet away.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

dont you worry, don't you fear, Underdog will soon be here

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That kid was probably mortified that his mom came down to the sideline.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The trainer called her down. Prior to it being popped back into place, I think he was fine with her there.

But then again, that was not the point of the story.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It was for the kid.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

What was for the kid? Having his mom there to give permission and watch his dislocated shoulder get popped back into place instead of the dad that was not at the game? So what?

What is your point?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not to speak for YGBFKM, but I was that kid my senior year of high school.

Opening game, second play of the season, my left leg stayed planted while my body got twisted in another direction. Spiral fracture. Left foot pointing sideways. Tried to get up, fell down.

What bothered me the most? My mom running down to the bench after I was carried off. Teenagers are stupid like that.

Now that I'm a parent (of an eighth-grade football player to boot), my mom and I laugh about that scene with my leg. And I still have a metal plate in there!!

Hope your nephew is feeling better, Lieslntx.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That would be far more entertaining than Beyonce. My money's on the Sonic Boom from Jackson State.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On the subject of parents rushing out of the stands to help their injured kids, Derek Redmond's dad remains the gold standard.

(Commentary is in Japanese, but it's one of the few YouTube clips of this without the schmaltzy music video treatment)

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Was having brainlock and before clicking on the link I kept thinking this would be about the Rams quarterback from the 1970s. Then I remembered ... "James Harris," not Harrison.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The FAMU Marching 100 has performed at several Super Bowls, most recently Colts vs. Saints. But they're currently unavailable.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Forget all that other stuff. You have a timeout. Use it.

The 1-yard pass was not an awful call -- there was no safety help in the middle of the field and if he beats that one guy, he's gone for big gain, perhaps even a TD. But if you're going to call that play, the plan has to be to call timeout if (when) he's tackled in bounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted