1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 6 Thread: Bubby Brister needs a hug.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 12, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because of Norv Turner.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: The season ticket waiting list...first graph:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article1082399.ece

Try harder. Much harder.

And as for ownership buying tickets last year--yeah, it did that. Why couldn't Jax? Could it be b/c the team is so strapped for cash? Could it be b/c there were so many tickets to sell that even ownership couldn't buy them all?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are they catching the ball with their heads?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree on Robinson. It was as least as bad as the one Harrison got fined for. I'll have to check it out again.

I saw the same thing you did with Hoge. He explained it very well, particularly why the one by Merriweather was by far the worst.

Hoge really has become a good spokesman on this issue. Funny thing is, technically, he only suffered one concussion. He hadn't had any until he went to the Bears. Then he suffered one that was misdiagnosed. The Bears let him play before he was fully recovered and a second blow to the head nearly killed him. If I remember correctly, it isn't considered a second concussion. It is all considered one injury.

5. mb

mb Active Member

I'd love to see some documentation explaining how Jacksonville is anything other than a shit market.

In 2004, I went to see Denver play Jacksonville in the Jags' home opener (Week 2). Jaguars were coming off a Week 1 win in Buffalo and looked to have a pretty good team (they'd eventually finish 9-7).

There were ENORMOUS swaths of empty seats pretty much all over the stadium. It was ridiculous. They reported 69,127, and I promise you that at least 20,000 of those folks were watching from home.

6. outofplace

Didn't the helmets make contact on both hits? I know they did on Harrison's, though he definitely led with the forearm, not the helmet.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know, thus why I said that very thing a few posts above.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In 2002, the Jags announced in preseason that they had a deal with one of the Florida supermarket chains to buy up unsold regular tickets each week to avoid blackouts. (Unsold club seats don't trigger blackouts.) One of their big problems is they kept the stadium too big in order to hold on to the Cocktail Party.

9. outofplace

Oh, I said all along that the hit on Cribbs was clean. So did the NFL.

The one on Massaquoi was iffy, but he definitely led with the forearms, not the head. My real problem with Harrison was his response to the issue, saying that he intended to hurt people. He specifically spoke about intending to knock guys out. He apparently doesn't think a concussion is a real injury.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Harrison's problem was two-fold - he was a second-time offender and as Junkie pointed out, he isn't very bright. He virtually assured himself of being fined the minute he opened his mouth and started talking about wanting to hurt people.

That being said - if Merriweather wasn't suspended for what he did to Heap, nobody should ever be suspended. That was by far the dirtiest hit of any this weekend and probably this entire season.

11. ^^This

12. outofplace

Got to agree with that one. It was very clear that he intended to hit with the helmet only.

Draft saved Draft deleted