1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 4 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Sep 23, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No I think the 18 games is pretty much dead, but I think an 18-week regular season would be a way to get more from the networks.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Those two years when the Browns came back and before the Texans were born, one team actually had a bye in Week 1.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I do not remember that. Great nugget.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If I'm remembering right, Texans-Bengals were forced to take an early bye a few years back after Reliant Stadium was damaged. Week 2 maybe.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Three years, actually (99-01). And some team had a bye every week (obviously). For their first two years back, the Browns had the bye in Week 17. Must have been the league giving it to a team they were pretty sure wouldn't also have one in the first round of the playoffs.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ah, you're right. I was thinking the Texans were born in 2001, but it was 2002.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know how many years until I looked it up.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The Bears had a bye week in Week 3 or so in 2003 before they re-opened Soldier Field.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Greg Bedard on the 49ers, headlined "A Season Slipping Away? A Team Slipping Away?"

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/22/san-francisco-49ers-loss-arizona-cardinals-week-3-trouble-ahead/

I would not be surprised to see something really crazy like Harbaugh rage-quit in the middle of the night during the season.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

If they win this weekend, I think they'll be OK. If they lose, I would not be surprised at them finishing 6-10, Harbaugh quitting during the off-season and have them in rebuilding mode after this nice 3-year run.

When healthy (they're not) they're a top 5 team. But this team has a lot of problems.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The bigger question is whether or not the Niners are good enough to overcome Arizona's strong start to the season. The Niners could easily be a team that finishes with a good record, but misses the playoffs anyway, similar to how Arizona missed the playoffs last year despite going 10-6.

Draft saved Draft deleted