1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 4 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yeah, like Jim Irsay, who 12 years earlier had testified against the Dr. Feelgood supplying him with illegal meds.

Robert Mathis, Rodgers, Irsay, Landry, Chris Rainey -- been a great year for the Colts so far.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The offense scored 0 points.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

They had trouble finishing "a" drive - the one that ended at the San Francisco 1 in the final 2 minutes. The rest of the drives, they had trouble starting, continuing and everything else about them.

They had 213 yards of offense, and I'm not sure they ran a play in SF territory until that drive that ended at the 1.

For the Eagles' sake, I hope that's not high efficiency and just having trouble finishing off drives when it comes to the run-and-shoot.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

That "favorable" schedule has already included Indianapolis and San Francisco.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Trouble finishing drives? They had trouble getting first downs.
    Ninety of their 213 yards came on the next-to-last drive -- which was also the first and only time they crossed midfield. That they had any chance of winning that game is astonishing. They should've lost by 30.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was a battle of dueling statistical probabilities. Two special team touchdowns and a defensive touchdown in a game probably have close to the same winning percentage as a game where the offense never scores, close to 1.000.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

It wasn't just that. There was the phantom "illegal use of hands" call on Julius Peppers, the phantom "defensive holding" call on the Bears during a Packers field goal attempt, and two other silly "unsafe hit" calls, where Ryan Mundy and DJ Williams both get flagged simply because a referee saw the helmet just brush against a player.

The calls against Peppers and the Bears player on the field goal (his name escapes me) were by far the worst.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my point. Actual run-and-shoot offenses were able to move the ball. The Eagles right now, not so much. Point being, the comparison doesn't really hold up.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

From what I've read, it was Marrone's call to go with Orton. Not that it changes his status as a coach whose job may now be on the line.

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

As far as the NFC East goes, who knows. The teams all have to play the NFC West and I can't see any of them beating Seattle. Maybe the Giants can beat San Francisco since they get them at MetLife. Who knows how the Eagles and Cowboys will match up with Arizona.

They also get to play the AFC South, so the top three at the moment likely all beat the Jaguars, and I figure the Giants and Eagles will beat the Titans.

So it likely comes down to how the division matchups go, unless one of the teams is able to sweep the AFC South opponents.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

They get starting RT Lane Johnson back this week -- his four-game PED suspension is up. That means Herremans can move back to guard, giving them three of their five starters in place. The others, C Jason Kelce (sports hernia) and G Evan Mathis (knee), I believe are expected back by early November.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The run-and-shoot was a one-dimensional gimmick offense destined to die an NFL death, and without a running game as its base, Kelly's offense is nothing more than a one-dimensional gimmick.

Draft saved Draft deleted