1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 4 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The play-calling on the drive that stalled at the 1 was so bad when it mattered most.

On second down they called a terrific run play to the left, and McCoy slashed and fought and punched his way for 5 or 6 yards down to the 1. They made a big mistake by letting the clock run down to the 2-minute warning. They should have come right back and run the same play to the left. They just showed that San Fran couldn't stop it. Makes no sense. After the 2-minute they come back with a badly executed pass attempt, and then the 4th-down call was just as atrocious. I don't know. Just dumb. I get that you want to milk clock, but that theory is better if you only need a field goal. Getting into the end zone is a much tougher enchilada. Don't think too hard. Just score the goddamn touchdown and then go for the 2 for a 3-point lead. And even if you don't convert the 2, put enough trust in your defense.

I'm not an Eagles fanboi. I just hate the wrong play at the wrong time. Should've fucking plowed over the left side again. Chip out-coached himself.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bills bench EJ Manuel for Kyle Orton:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/29/bills-bench-e-j-manuel-go-with-kyle-orton-at-qb/

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think Philly's biggest problem is the defense, as evidenced by what Cousins did to them a couple weeks ago. I think the line will improve. I agree they should have been able to score on that drive, but San Francisco has a pretty good defensive front, they're on the road playing on the other side of the country, which doesn't usually result in a favorable outcome.

If Seattle and Arizona are 1-2 in the NFC, which teams are 3-6? Are the Lions the best team in the North, or is that just a facade?

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

OK, so Marrone can go on the list of coaches who won't be back in 2015, especially if benching Manuel was not ultimately his call.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Great stat on the Eagles' performance yesterday: 31 of their 56 plays failed to gain a single yard. They can't run the ball, despite having a great running back. Without a running game, Kelly's offense is the run-and-shoot.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think the only team in the NFC that scares me at all is Seattle in Seattle. We'll know more about Arizona after they go to Denver this week.

But out of the other divisions, there's no team that stands out as a sure-fire threat at this point.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Colts cut longtime problem child Da'Rick Rodgers after he's popped for DUI.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/09/29/colts-cut-darick-rogers-after-dui-arrest/16440819/

As I'm not the first to point out, it's good to know a Jim Irsay-owned team takes impaired driving seriously.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It may have been one of the worst officiated NFL games I have ever seen..

But I think the rules may state that 'blow to the head' includes literally just touching the qb;s helmet.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Irsay being a dumbass has nothing to do with Rodgers being an even bigger dumbass. No sympathy for these guys who fuck up over and over again. Take some damn responsibility for your life.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Bad call early benefitted the Bears, then the officials made about 9 makeup calls. The first down they gave Nelson in the first half was laughable. Bears officials should have been paying attention, though, and challenged it.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Colts' LaRon Landry gets 4-game PED suspension.

In related news:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The offensive line has been devastated by injuries. Not sure if or when they will get some of those guys back.

That said, run-and-shoot piled up plenty of yards. They just had trouble finishing drives.

Draft saved Draft deleted