1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 4 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Sep 23, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Indeed. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I was watching the Cowboys-Saints game with the sound off and doing something else at the same time, watching only half-heartedly; did I see a touchdown in which the player stepped out of bounds by a good 6-9 inches and it wasn't called? Did the officials miss that or was that play corrected?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Patterson is the player most negatively impacted by AP not being there. Teams focus on AP and then they hand it to Patterson. Doesn't work as well with Asiata. McKinnon did look good, but everybody looks good against the Falcons defense.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Admittedly, lifelong 49ers fan who defended Kaepernick for quite awhile now:

He's one of the worst decision makers at the QB position right now as evidenced by:

1. When he takes the snap, he takes 1-2 steps and HOLDS the ball; almost everyone else knows that you're supposed to get the ball out early; instead he tries to make a play and gets sacked;

2. He's the worst, once out of the "pocket", stepping out of bounds and losing yards, hey, the rules allow you to just throw it out of bounds, you don't even need an eligible receiver in the neighborhood;

3. He's the master of the fake audibles, which lead to the inevitable delay of game/wasted TO;

4. He's probably got the fewest checkdown throws in the league; watch how many times the back delays out of the backfield and he's open yet does not get the ball.

Its so frustrating watching the 49ers when you have to waste 90% of your energy saying first (1) get the play off!! then (2) get rid of the ball, throw it somewhere!!

Alas, he's blessed with a great D, so not all is lost. Hopefully the Niners can hold up until Bowman and Smith return. Some semblence of a deep threat would be nice though.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I was working desk last night, so I missed that, but I did see the 20-yard pass play the Cowboys completed in which not one, but two linemen were way downfield in front of the pass and it wasn't called. I believe Dallas scored on the next play.

6. ryanb

ryanb Member

The Cowboys did score on the next play. That was among the worst missed calls I have ever seen in an NFL game.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Agree with every word.

Kaepernick has never made me feel confident in his abilities, which says a lot, because he's very talented. He's not smart and he's not coachable. I think the Niners need to sign a veteran backup to work with him and mentor him, someone like a Kitna or a Hasselbeck. People have pointed out that he was at his best when he had Smith there helping him, but I don't know if that was because Smith was a good mentor or because the 49ers opponents that year had almost no tape on Kaepernick.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Legit question: Would the 49ers be better off right now with Alex Smith at QB?

9. RecoveringJournalist

That's a tough question. The 49ers would be better off with a "game manager" than someone who makes the kind of stupid mistakes that Kaepernick does. I also think the 49ers need someone better than a game manager if they think they can win a Super Bowl.

I don't regret the Smith trade, because they got a lot for him. I don't regret the trade as much as I am frustrated that Kaepernick continues to make the same stupid mistakes over and over again.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Game managers backed by a strong running game and defense have won Super Bowls before.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Yes, but I would argue that the 49ers defense isn't on the level of those teams (2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, maybe 2012 Ravens) anymore.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not in the last decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted