1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 4: Kiss the Booty Lounge and Bob Sanders goodbye

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Sep 28, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm interested in the Browns/Titans game, to see just how important Kenny Britt really was to Hasselback's early season success.

And I'm looking forward to the Steelers opening a can of OOP-ass on the Texans.

2. I hope you are right about the Steelers.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Four inches of rain, which is what fell at the stadium during a 35-minute span of the Panthers' game against Jacksonville, will put the damper on any passing game.

What has shocked me about Cam Newton is not only his start, but also the fact that he's looking to pass and is usually running only after the play is breaking down and the secondary has his receivers covered. Enough so that Jon Gruden issued an apology to Observer columnist Scott Fowler if anyone thought that he was implying that Newton wasn't sharp enough to handle an offense at the NFL level:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/28/2648152/gruden-on-newton-now-shock-and.html

FWIW, Newton has shut me up. Big time. Have no problem admitting I was wrong. The frightening part is how powerful this offense could be if the line could better run-block. Jonathan Stewart has looked good, but DeAngelo Williams hasn't and neither has the offensive line. Injuries haven't been as plentiful along the front. Sure, Jeff Otah has missed time, but that's almost habit these days. They were fortunate to get Geoff Hangartner back to help fix the revolving door at RG after Buffalo cut him.

I would worry more about the Bears' defense if Newton were looking to run at more opportunities. The right mix of blitz and coverage is probably the key. Arizona went blitz-happy, but Newton burned them all afternoon. A good containment rush - and Julius Peppers had plenty of practice doing that with Michael Vick twice a season for a few years - will help. The Bears' safeties will have to play better ... they looked kinda shabby last week against Green Bay.

Another question: How does Jay Cutler go after a defense missing its two best linebackers? Will Mike Martz put away his idiotic, bloated pride and find out what Matt Forte can do against a run defense that was suspect before Jon Beason and Thomas Davis went down with season-ending injuries?

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

ESPN loves talking about the appearances of quarterbacks. I once heard a Cowherd segment where he ripped on Romo for 10 straight minutes because he wore his hat backwards on the sideline. Give it up, cronies.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

For all the complaining people here do about ESPN, they sure watch it a lot.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So do I, but nothing I've seen so far this season makes me think it is going to happen.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Listening to a debate about Tom Brady's luscious locks is still more interesting than anything they could possibly say about DC United.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Um, fucker didn't log off his account. I wrote the above post.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You two are just so damn cute.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I knew it was too good to be him.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see which team gets the louder cheers when they take the field, the Jags or the Saints, who have been shilling tickets to this game to their fans on Facebook for quite awhile now.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well, I hope Roethlisberger doesn't try to rape us.

Sorry. Back on topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted