1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 3: The Daniel Jones Era begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I would direct you to the Matt Ryan HOF? thread a couple pages back

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Eli's Super Bowl runs weren't luck. He played exceptionally well in both postseasons. It was more a case of a very good quarterback -- not quite as good as his peers, but not very far behind, either -- raising his game to another level for a crucial four- or five-game stretch.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Eli Manning is absolutely going to be in the Hall of Fame. Maybe not his first year eligible, but in for sure.

He has the stats, inflated by era but he has them.
    He won two rings.
    His last name is Manning.
    He’s the best QB in New York Giants history.

It’s a mortal lock.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect you are right.

He's also the living definition of mediocre, but whatevs.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can play well and also be extremely lucky, the two are not mutually exclusive.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don’t think you understand the concept of luck and how it works.

There are teams every year with really good defenses. Not many of those defenses will go on to win two SBs.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was in as good a position to make a play on the ball as Tyree. That was my point. You have a very good safety, though not the greatest pass defender, in decent position against a scrub wide receiver and that turned into a huge play for the Giants. I don't see how you anybody can look at that and not think Manning got lucky. Wasn't that the last reception of Tyree's career? He caught all of four in the playoffs and 54 in the regular season for his entire career.

8. outofplace

True, but what was the other lucky play? We agree on the Tyree catch.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

But ya can’t take it away. And why would you want to? Not sure why Manning going to the Hall of Fame rankles so many people. Guy won two Super Bowl MVPs against the all-time greatest dynasty in the Pats. Case closed.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You got it champ. He’s going into Canton with ease. Maybe not first ballot but he’s a shoo-in. You must be huffing paint to think otherwise.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We're on.

12. outofplace

Some people are rankled by players who aren't great getting into the Hall of Fame, but honestly, I've taken Eli Manning getting in as inevitable for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted