1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 3: Marcus Dupree Did Not Wear This Number ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 21, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know what Rick's explanation would be, but to me the graph makes it look like the first crew calls 400 percent more penalties than the last crew, when in reality the difference is 40 percent, and neither extreme seems to be more than 20 percent from the average. Overall, every refereeing crew calls between 10 and 14.5 penalties per game, which seems about right.

This is a wholly different issue from the fact that the officials suck and their bosses engineer the games to their liking, as Michael Gee points out.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It looks to me like the average crew calls about 12 penalties, and all the crews are within two per game of that average.

Setting the bottom axis at 9 makes it look visually impressive, but if it were set to 0, it'd look much different.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As a Saints fanboy, I'm intrigued by the game Sunday vs. the Texans. Houston has offensive firepower to cause Saints some problems (see Rodgers, Aaron), especially if Foster is close to 100%. But I can't see the Texans slowing down Brees and the Saints. I look for a shootout.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I heard John Lynch this morning on Cowherd's show, that is one smart guy (Lynch, not Cowherd). He said that offenses are scoring at such a high clip because guys in the secondary are afraid to hit receivers with alligator arms because of fines possibly levied, and/or suspensions.

Maybe it's just what the NFL wants: more points. It reminds me of how the NBA was all about scoring, then the Pistons-Spurs played in the 2005 Finals and everyone hated it and nobody watched. People love scoring, chicks dig the long ball, fans love touchdown passes, enthusiasts love seeing a hockey hat trick.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

This thread title is classic, like the Cliff Clavin Jeopardy - Who are 3 people who've never been in my kitchen.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Four more penalties per will have a marked effect on a game.

That's 60 more flags thrown over the course of a typical 15-game officiating season.

Hochuli and Corrente are traditionally high. Morelli traditionally low. There is no cause for it.

7. RickStain

How big do you think is an acceptable difference between the most-penalizing and least-penalizing crews each year?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

15 yards for derailing this thread on a Thursday.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Why should there be a difference at all? One year can vary based on randomness of getting teams who commit more penalties but I have seen these numbers in the past and Hochuli and Triplette are always at the top. The NFL should strive have officials call games similarly. They don't Hochuli's is at the top for most penalties because he calls a ton more pass interference. I forget the exact numbers but I saw a graphic during a game last season and Hochuli is well above the next in the number of PI calls.

All this said, the difference in refs calling styles is prevalent in all sports, at all levels. The athletes have to learn the boundaries of each official. Baseball players certainly know umpires strike zone tendencies.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hochuli's crew is also inordinately high in roughing calls each year.

11. RickStain

Because no matter how hard they try to avoid it, some of the rules are still judgment calls, and judgment varies.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Says you.

Draft saved Draft deleted