1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Sep 13, 2016.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I do. It's an old-school league with a fairly unique scoring system, a combination points/yards system. I don't think there is an on-line system that fully duplicates it. Besides, I like doing it. Eats up the Sunday night game and I can dig into the box scores.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Man, I used to do an excel spreadsheet for the NCAA basketball tournament. The shitstorm that ensued when one year, I made a miscalulation...

The year the NCAA tourney went online was a blessing for me as commish.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fisher is pretty much done as a successful NFL head coach, huh? Guy's teams haven't won a playoff game since 2003, he's got only six winning seasons in 22 years. I've always liked Fisher, but it's becoming more apparent that he's pretty overrated.

4. In other words, everyone is coming around to Mizzou's line of thinking.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think overrated is the right word, at least for his whole career. He was a very good coach for a long time who, unlike Belichick or Carroll or some others, hasn't adapted to the reality that you need to be able to score 30+ points on occasion to win nowadays.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mike Zimmer says he might not tell the Vikings who'll be their starting QB until just before gametime Sunday night. That's taking secrecy to the limit, the limit of absurdity. How can that possibly help you win?

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We do this for the playoffs. We do a redraft league once the postseason hits; it's usually 6-8 of us and we pick QB/3WR/2RB/TE/2FLEX/K/D. No bench. You have to pick the best guys and who you think will play the most games. Kid in our league sets up a spreadsheet on google and we just punch in the stats as we go. Most points at the end of the postseason wins. I'm shocked none of the major sites have anything like this.

As for night games, I was in the pro-night game camp until this Sunday. In previous years, I could stay up for the Patriots on Sunday night, watch a little postgame, sleep til 8 when the kids got up, NBD. This year, up at 6:30 to get myself ready for the day and to get the 5-year old ready for school. I am now anti-night game.

8. LongTimeListener

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Goff must still tie his football shoes together. He's Ralph Wiggums at QB.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I moved out of the Eastern time zone for the first time about a year ago and by far I notice it the most during football season. The whole 1, 4ish, 8:30 grind gets imprinted on you. I'm a religious guy and I normally make it out of the church parking lot around quarter after 11 CT, give or take. If I want to have a decent meal somewhere that I don't have to cook myself, I better hope I won the lottery, because if I have to wait for a seat at all, I'm not going to make the start of the noon games.

That said, I realize the time zone shift means I watch dramatically less of pre-game shows, which I believe to be a wonderful thing.

Also nice that, in CT, night games end at a semi-reasonable -- 10:30, 10:45 hour. When I was a kid, I probably was at least into my teens before my parents would let me stay up for the end of a Monday Night Football game given they started at 9 p.m. ET.

And don't get me started on how jarring it is to have college games starting before lunch.

Batman likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted