1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2 running thread ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 15, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How far ahead of offenses are defenses right now?

Lot of field goals being kicked out there in NFL land.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Except by the Falcons kicker.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even if they are 1-2, which is very likely, it's not the worst thing going into the bye week. As my fiancee reminded me, the Steelers were 7-5 before they figured it out at the right time. And that bye week should help Roethlisberger collect some strength again. I know taking the beating tonight didn't help, but given his offseason, it's got to be encouraging that he can recover from whatever comes his way ... so far, anyway.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Counts the same as a road game, last time I checked. Are you minimizing a victory over the defending champions and another one over the team most of the experts picked to win the NFC?

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Nope. Two very good wins. But Jax is a completely different team on the road. I'll point out the playoff loss to an otherwise ordinary Patriots team last year. But as Steve Young said, 'does that offense scare you?' Sorry, it doesn't. But Fred Taylor looked pretty awesome tonight.

And it's amazing how much slower Willie Parker looked against a great defense on the road. Parker was a blur last week ... he did absolutely nothing tonight.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is that Miami bandwagon light yet?

7-9 might be generous.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno, A_F, the Jags play the Colts pretty tough in Indy generally.

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I'd give the Dolphins one more week. If Culpepper shits the bed again, I'll hop off.
    Same with the Redskins and Panthers. Can see both of them in the playoffs. But not after 0-3.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A good defense can do that. And you know, defense wins championships, so I wouldn't count out the Jags just because the offense doesn't score at a Manning-like clip. The 2000 Ravens didn't have a feared offense, either, but did enough to help win a Super Bowl in convincing fashion.

As for Parker, I don't think he looked slower tonight. He simply had nowhere to run.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because, of course, the crowd came onto the field and kept the Steelers from advancing the ball past the Jacksonville 45, holding Pittsburgh to 26 yards rushing.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yep, 'twas a good week for defenses. Must be time for some sort of offensive-driven rules change. :-/

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Quite Frankly,He shoud have attempted a field goal so if he missed he could try it again.[/electric slide]

Draft saved Draft deleted