1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2: Nobody any good wore this number

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's Denny Fucking Green.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Crown his ass

3. turski7

turski7 Member

Do the Broncos/Falcons beat the over/under (50) by halftime with those no-huddle offenses?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you line up Green's NFL career compared to Petrino, Spurrier, Saban and the other college coaches who shit the bed in the NFL, he deserves to be crowned. :D

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Is he what you thought he was?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No complaints, either. The think that stood out to me about Walsh was the scheme, the whole West Coast Offense bit, and how he took ordinary players (check out the 1981 roster that won their first Super Bowl) and made them work together to achieve a lot.

Still have a The Sporting News NFL preview issue from 1985. The 49ers were coming off a 18-1 season and Super Bowl XIX win over Miami. Walsh is quoted as saying of his rookies "I'm not sure any one of them can make our team". The 49ers drafted a little-known wide receiver from Mississippi Valley State named Jerry Rice in the first round. Rice did, in fact, make the team and went on to have a respectable NFL career.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The 49ers' defense those years doesn't get the credit it is due, either.

I wonder how those '85 Bears really would match up in today's game, with even more liberal rules to help quarterbacks. Part of the reason they lost even one game was they ran into a quarterback who could get the ball away quickly and make them pay for blitzing so much. If anything, I think current offenses might give them more trouble by spreading them out and attacking them with short stuff.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

To be fair, everyone knew who Jerry Rice was -- hell, everyone knew who Willie Totten was, too, because that offense put up ridiculous numbers and became a national story. The issue was many believed Rice wasn't fast enough to be an NFL receiver, never mind a star.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

John Robinson of USC had a decent pro coaching stint.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering he traded up to get him, I'm thinking he felt pretty good about Rice making the team. :D

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wonderful analysis of all facets of the game.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He did provide the biggest reason to favor those 49ers teams over the '85 Bears, though I agree, that reasoning alone is too simplistic.

Draft saved Draft deleted