1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2 2018: Jets Super Bowl march continues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Landry Jones?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still say the Steelers were idiots to cut Jones. I am more sure of that now that Roethlisberger missed Thursday's practice as well as Wednesday's. Roethlisberger claimed it was just a bruise, but sitting Thursday as well makes me wonder.

There is real chance the Steelers could be without Roethlisberger and their top lineman, guard David DeCastro, top cornerback Joe Haden and Bell Sunday against the Chiefs, which would make a 0-1-1 start very likely.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Can crazy to see one ref overturn the other and then the call was wrong.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nope. Reid is terrible against the Steelers and KC is good with 1-1 when starting on the road with two games, especially with the first being a division game. If they’re down 21-3 early, they’ll pick it in.

5. outofplace

The Steelers are certainly capable of winning, especially at home, but I don't see it happening if Dobbs has to start in Roethlisberger's place.

Haden is a huge loss if he can't go. The defense looked great most of the game in Cleveland, but not so much once Haden left the game.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Chiefs will be a popular underdog pick. Which doesn't bode well for them.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Proof that he was conceived during a bizarre combination of Tic Tac Dough, Schlitz and heroin, the Ravens Defensive Coordinator is named Wink Martindale.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don’t get why teams don’t kick the field when they are down two scores there. Kick it and leave yourself 30 to 40 seconds left if you happen to get the onside kick. Scoring a td and having 10 seconds left does not leave you a real chance of scoring.

Chef2 likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gruden is going to learn quickly that one SB ring and 10 years on MNF doesn't carry the same kind of clout that five rings gives you. It's a different league from his time, and he wasn't really even known for great relations with his players in his final years in Tampa.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Gruden reminds me of me, unfortunately. A guy who was at the edge of technology/workflow in his field 15-20 years ago but now gets worked over on the tech stuff by the millennials.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure he knows the football stuff. It's the dealings with players that it seems is giving him the greatest problems. I don't think you need to kiss players asses, but I do think treating them with a little respect goes a long way.

Take Marvin Lewis - nobody thinks he's much of a coach, but players PLAY for him. The roster isn't great, but this year the Bengals are looking like a playoff team.

12. outofplace

I don't disagree with your assessment of Gruden, but Lewis? The Bengals have had plenty of seasons in which they underachieved since he has been there.

Draft saved Draft deleted