1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: Turn out the lights, the party's almost over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Dec 25, 2012.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Arizona?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The reason the Chicago OC job is thankless and can't-win is that the OCs they bring in are idiots. They have a good (if too risky) quarterback, one of the game's better running backs, a legit #1 receiver, a big body on the other side, and some high draft picks on the offensive line. That they can't put it together isn't the OC's bad luck, it's his fault.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

All true -- although Tice certainly wasn't involved in drafting all those O-Line busts. But if I recall, his background is as an offensive line coach. You'd think they would get better as the season went on, instead of worse.

Anyway, you're dead on, LTL.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Let me see if I have this right. RG3 gets fined for the hat he wears to a post game press conference, yet Peyton Manning can plaster the name of a car company on his uniform in a sandwich board-size label on the show announcing Pro Bowl picks and that has the blessing of the NFL? Obviously no one on Park Avenue knows the meaning of the word "hypocrite."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's certainly been true this year. The schedule format has been terrible. Whoever decided to frontload all of the Sunday games, every single week, so that there's rarely more than three late games deserves a punch in the nuts.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, if you have a string of 3-4 coordinators come in and go bust, I would have to look at how deeply the head coach is involved in things. Hell, Mike Martz was a genius for a while in St. Louis. I liked Tice when he was a player and later a coach at Minnesota.

can't pinpoint what is wrong, other than the o-line is very inconsistent.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I already explained this.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The networks don't like to have many 4 pm ET games. If you have the doubleheader game, you want as many people on your main game as possible, not an audience split among 3-4 games. If you don't have the doubleheader game, you try to stack as many games as you can in the 1ET window (although you MUST have at least one in the 4 ET window for markets not allowed an early game that week).

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There might be a logic to it, but it still sucks. If you have 13 Sunday afternoon games during non-bye weeks, putting 10 of them at 1 p.m. is silly. In the age of Sunday Ticket and Red Zone, it's too many games to keep track of at once. A 9-4 or 8-5 split is much more enjoyable as a fan.
    Of course, when has the Redheaded Weasel occupying the commissioner's office ever thought about the fans' enjoyment of the game?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Most markets are not going to get but three games in the afternoon anyway, someplaces just two because of local blackouts. If you put too many games in the late window, you fracture up the audience for what the networks want to build to.

I remember Marv Levy saying he wished every game could kickoff at 1 p.m. on Sunday because it helped with preparation.

I am curious how many people have Sunday Ticket or Red Zone anyway. I never had Sunday Ticket (too expensive) and I watched Red Zone a couple of times when it was on a tier I had purchased for other channels anyway. But I never set my schedule around either of those.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Found one former Bears QB who wore 17:

[​IMG]

He was 8-of-23 for 79 yards and an interception in 1987.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

nobody cares.

Draft saved Draft deleted