1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: Turn out the lights, the party's almost over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Dec 25, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So does 10-6 but no playoff spot get Lovie Smith fired? With a win Sunday, his teams would have an all-time record of 84-66, including playoffs.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's pretty hard to fire a coach after a winning season. It doesn't happen often and usually when it does, there's a reason for it (Schottenheimer in SD). Dungy in Tampa was a rarity... Firing Smith after a winning season would stun me.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Lovie won't get fired because there's a year left on his deal.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Almost a certainty. Tougher schedule and a couple of close ones that go the other way easily could mean a 7-9 or worse record.

Kind of like in Manning's second season, Colts went 13-3 against a bad schedule with a few close wins, then "regressed" to 10-6 and 6-10 before everything came together.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Week 17 means the last time the Red Zone Channel is on for another nine months.
    It's like saying goodbye to a summer camp crush.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought I just read that he had two left... But you're right... The Bears don't like to eat contracts...

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

he's serviceable Who replaces him?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The three-four hours starting at 10:00am Pacific have been the best hours of my week, since September. It kind of falls off for the late games.

I will miss the Red Zone. God, I will miss it.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

OK, alternate question:

When's the last time an NFL head coach missed the playoffs 5 out of 6 years and kept his job?

This could be the third year in the last six where the Bears had at least 9 wins but missed.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

From 2003-2008, according to Wikipedia, Marvin Lewis made the playoffs 1 time (the Palmer injury game) and kept his job. In that 6th year, he happened to finish 4-11-1.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Smith is back regardless.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agreed. Now Mike Tice, on the other hand ...

Is there a more thankless, can't-win-no-matter-what-you-do OC job in the NFL than Chicago?

(Don't get me wrong. Tice has been awful)

Draft saved Draft deleted