1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17 Thread: Kyle Orton's Chance of a Lifetime?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Because it would splinter advertising. Networks want you watching their game if you're going to watch football. Not like ABC/ESPN, which competes against itself all day and night on Saturdays.

That said, if the NFL is going to allow Sunday Ticket, I'm surprised they haven't offered it on digital cable. DirecTV must being paying a pretty penny for that exclusivity.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Oh, no doubt. There's a reason Sunday Ticket costs more than the NBA and MLB packages despite offering less games. It's because DirecTV paid so much and needs to recoup the cost. I think their exclusivity ends after this season, though, so we could see real cheap Sunday Ticket across digital cable providers next year.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gee, ya think?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never thought Sunday Ticket was worth the price. Not to me, anyway. I get more than enough games as it is and if there's another game I desperately want to see, I can usually find it at a local bar or restaurant.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wrong.

It costs so much because people will pay it. Basic supply and demand. Econ 101.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

With RedZone you don't really need it unless there are games you want to focus on or a team you follow but don't live in their market (and I realize there is a plenty big market there). But you still get the couple of network broadcasts and then Red Zone gives you the good plays of everything else, mostly live, and not to mention focuses on the more important or close games so often you pretty much get those whether they are shown in your market or not.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The only thing that could make it better would be OOP getting involved.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but jumping into a debate with those two would cost me brain cells I can't afford to lose.

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

That's part of it. But when the exclusivity is gone and more people are able to get it, the price will go down.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just like your mom. Again, Econ 101.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Happy Holidays. You need to get out more.

Draft saved Draft deleted