1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17--The Harold Carmichael Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Same here. I've always enjoyed the rare opportunities to sit in huge, empty stadiums and just take in the details of the place that are hard to notice when there are so many people and so much activity buzzing around during a game.
    When I was in college, they'd sometimes leave the gates open at Tiger Stadium at night and I loved going in there and just sitting in the stands for a few minutes. Might have been the quietest place in Baton Rouge when it was empty, because the stadium was so big that it blocked out a lot of the city light and noise. Just sitting there and thinking about the contrast between that quiet and the insane volume of a Saturday night game was mesmerizing.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Roger Staubach in four Super Bowls: 61-108-774-9TDs-4INTs. Two wins, two losses. You seem to have forgotten a lot of passes.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To say that "Dallas" doesn't hold up today is an understatement, but it sure was a hoot in its time.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

After Lamar Jackson, Jameis Winston was the most fascinating player in the NFL this year.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then it should be Tarkenton. Championships are Staubach's edge on him.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure Swann even belongs in Canton, but Stallworth had the best season of his career in 1984 with Mark Malone and David Woodley throwing him the ball.

7. Michael_ Gee

Terry Bradshaw in four Super Bowls: 50-84-857-9TDs-4INTs. Fine stats, but not qualitatively different than Staubach's. To show how much the game has changed, Bradshaw never threw more than 30 passes in a Super Bowl, and in Pittsburgh's first two wins, he threw less than 20 (14,19).

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Their completion percentages are era-standard but Bradshaw's was higher (59.5% vs. 56.5%). To me, Bradshaw's Y/A (10.2 vs. 7.2) is a real differentiator.

Bob Griese thinks 14 attempts is reckless, and 20 is Andre Ware territory.

9. Michael_ Gee

True. Threw eight passes in Super Bowl VIII.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bradshaw's playoff QB rating (83.0) was significantly better than his regular-season rating (70.9), so there definitely was a different level he achieved, which is usually hard to do in the postseason.

And during 3 of his SB runs, his ratings were 94.9, 104.1 and 98.5. That's phenomenal for a 70s QB. How much his teammates also upped their games . . . I have no idea.

FWIW, Staubach's playoff rating (76.4) was a notch or two below his regular-season rating (83.4), which is not uncommon.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This sort of journalism and holding the establishment accountable is what we miss when we no longer have Deadspin.

Draft saved Draft deleted