1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL week 17 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's keep in mind that at the midseason mark, the Giants were considered the team to beat in the NFC...

Then in the final eight weeks, six teams beat them...

I still will be stunned if Coughlin is back.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

but you also have to keep in mind that they lost their 2 pro bowl DE's their starting LT, Starting SE and starting CB.

The Giants have played poorly but injuries are a big factor

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Collinsworth has done much better than I ever remembered him being elsewhere. But I sincerely hope that they get rid of Bryant Gumbel. Bring in Greg if you have to, he's fine, but Bryant is terrible.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The Raiders ... here's where they are. They activated a tight end off their practice squad. He's from our area. He caught five passes in his four seasons at Maryland.

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Our brilliant NFL writer just called to inform us that the Giants have indeed clinched a playoff spot.

Seriously.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Bryant Gumbel is titanically bad. He has no sense of basic information to provide before and during the plays.

Collinsworth saved this broadcast, except for whateverinhell he was trying to say about Mark Brunell going through 2 defenders to pick up three yards. Not gonna happen.

7. Boom_70

Gumbel did too much play by play like he was on radio. Collingworth was great. All in all in worked. I'll take them any day over the ESPN guys.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

F_cking Time Warner Cable. F_cking NFL Network. Screw both of them.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

gumbel kept referring to the giants or 'skins "losing the ball on downs." my buddy and i wondered if we'd lost track of the down and distance. we hadn't -- the next play was a punt.

for cryin' out loud, can't someone at the nfl network tell gumbel you lose the ball ON DOWNS if you're stopped on fourth down? three-and-out is waaaay different then losing it on downs.

sorry, but this was the first chance to watch an nfl network game for many of us. and gumbel must've been saying this for the first seven nfl network games of the season.

end of rant.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If Gumbel's as bad as many of you say, I wonder what some of his "Real Sports" outtakes sound like. For as polished as he tends to sound on that program, he's botching a lot of stuff on a hot mic during a live broadcast.

11. Boom_70

I noticed that too and started to wonder what the Giants were thinking going for it on "4th down".

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I think Gumbel is great as a studio host, and that is a totally different animal than doing live play-by-play. For one, the former is scripted, the latter is all off the top of his head.

Draft saved Draft deleted