1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: Billy Kilmer tried to commit suicide but the bullet was intercepted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, the Saints weren't the Saints yet -- that loss dropped them to 5-3, they had also lost to the Bucs and had barely beaten the Panthers. They've won seven in a row since then. Clearly a different team. Rams too, I don't want to get into the whole "given up" thing, but they were clearly playing with a different commitment level in the first half of the season than they have been the last few weeks.

I agree, though, that Payton has to plan as if there's a chance the Rams rise up.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The article says Payton will look closely at how much his starters need to play. That sounds to me like he'll be monitoring the 49ers game, not benching Brees to start the game.

3. LongTimeListener

I don't think he's going to find much solace if he's waiting for the 49ers to push the game out of reach. Even in the games where they've really kicked ass, it takes awhile until they just grind people down. They beat the Rams 26-0 last month and it was 9-0 at halftime.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The idea that the Saints were running up the score - a silly notion in professional sports - or being classless is just stupid.

I thought it was a good move because now they can do what they want, including rest Brees in this final game if they choose.

Also, I said when Rex Ryan was hired his shelf life would be about four years as these loudmouth asshole coaches who act like they are the toughest guys on the block usually have immediate results then their act grows old and players tune them out and they crash and burn.The Jets won't make the playoffs this year and next year will be even worse and Rex will be given his walking papers.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who are the five best head coaches in the NFL right now? I'm obviously curious if you will include someone who does not fit the above description.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They will be very patient with Ryan. Even if he's acting like a horse's ass, he keeps them in the conversation. That's more than the Kotites and Joe Waltons ever did.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Liesl: Any word on how much Foster will play for the Texans Sunday? Sorry, fantasy nerd jack, but I'm in a league that plays weeks 16-17 as a championship and I have both Foster and Tate. I'm assuming Tate will get the lion's share of the work this week.

8. LongTimeListener

I can't see why they would give Foster more than two carries just to say he started. They are completely locked into the #3 seed and he can't win the rushing title.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, especially with his hamstring injury history and the fact that Houston is very likely going to be jettisoned to the early game on Saturday.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree. I would guess that it is mostly going to be Tate out there. Personally, I see the receivers possibly playing longer, so that Yates can have some more practice time learning to throw to a Texan and not throwing interceptions.

There is a lot of talk here about how Johnson has been practicing all week. But I am in the camp that says to sit him out unless he is really, really needed in the 4th. Even then, since the game really has no meaning for us, I don't see the point in that.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I have been wondering about the schedule for the playoffs. I know there is nothing official out there yet, but is there somewhere that I can see planned dates in general so that a little planning can be done work-wise and travel-wise?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When you think about it, the home teams are likely to be Tebow and Dallas/NYG ... I'm guessing both of those are almost guaranteed to be the two late games in primetime. Depending on which game goes on which day, the opposite conference team will play in the early game. If Tebow is Saturday, San Fran/NO will probably the be 4:30 game on Saturday. If Dallas/Giants are Saturday, Houston will probably be the early game Saturday.

That's just one man's guess, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted