1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: Billy Kilmer tried to commit suicide but the bullet was intercepted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 27, 2011.

1. For the most part, I agree with you. Peyton Manning has been known to throw in the fourth quarter of a 21+ point game as well. I don't like it, but maybe it's because I have grown accustomed to Steelers teams shortening my life by building leads and running the ball into close scores. Maybe there is something to "if you can't stop it, don't complain about it." I'll say this though . . . If Drew Brees, good guy and all, drops back while passing in the fourth quarter of a 2+ score game, and he ends up getting the same treatment his coach got earlier this season from a charging linebacker, I'm certainly not gonna feel bad for him. And if any fans cry about it, the response should be, "if you don't want to get a lineman pissed at you and take a cheap shot, maybe you shouldn't be running up the score for a record." Passing in that situation is just as much a cheap shot.

2. He does NOT deserve Kate Upton!

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of franchises would like to be complete messes if it meant getting to the AFC Championship two years in a row.

Sanchez is NOT the problem for the Jets. He's not Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or even Eli Manning, but he can make the throws he needs to and he's done a pretty good job in the fourth quarter of tight games during his career.

Their passing game is actually improving. They ranked 31st in passing in 2009 and 22nd last year. This year they're 21st.

As someone else mentioned, the fact that their ground game has turned to complete shit this year has more to do with their struggles than anything.

They're ranked 22nd in rushing this season. Last year, they were ranked fourth and gained about 700 yards more than they will this year (they had about 850 more yards last season, so I'm giving the Jets credit for 150 yards on Sunday, which is probably way too much). In 2009, they were ranked first and gained about 900 more yards than this season.

Shonn Greene has continued his steady improvement, but Tomlinson is toast. He's finally fallen off the cliff. He's only gained about 200 yards on the ground this year after gaining 900 last year. If he could have even maintained Greene's production from last season (about 650 yards), the Jets would be much better off.

The defense, meanwhile, which was ranked first in 2009 and third in 2010, is not quite as dominant this year, ranking seventh.

Basically, the two things the Jets did best, running the ball with the "ground and pound" mentality and playing defense, they aren't doing as well this season.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I should restate that...

They are a mess for considering scraping him at QB and will be a mess if they do.

Teams need to invest their draft picks in areas that need them. I can only imagine what they will trade away to get Manning.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Well said, Shockey. Parcells said Payton had a tendency to "go off the reservation" and he did it again.

6. bigpern23

Gotcha, sorry if I misunderstood. I agree, they need to invest their draft picks elsewhere, particularly at wide receiver.

Their tight end, Dustin Keller, has 770 yards, which is great except for the fact that he's their leading receiver.

Holmes is slipping. Burress has shown some improvement as the season has gone on and if they get lucky, maybe he could return to form next season the same way Vick needed a year back in the league before he returned to form. But really, they desperately need a guy with some big play ability on the outside.

I think they could use another running back to help take some of the load off Greene. Tomlinson should retire.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Jets have a ton of holes but Wayne Hunter at right tackle has been a disaster.

8. bigpern23

Very good point.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Payton making it sound like he might sit Brees and other key starters, so the passing yardage record might end up in Brady's hands when all is said and done ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8257835c/article/saints-payton-undecided-how-much-brees-starters-will-play

Really don't see how the Saints can do this. They play at the same time as 49ers. I would say stranger things have happened than the Rams beating the 49ers, but I don't know if anything stranger than a two-win team beating a 13-win team has happened. Regardless, it doesn't seem like the Saints can just assume the 49ers win and rest starters on that assumption; maybe if it's clear by the third quarter they take guys out, but I don't understand going into it with that feeling.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Rams beat the crap out of New Orleans a couple months ago.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True but there wasn't an 11-win gap between them at the time.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

So? Saints were still the Saints and Rams were still the Rams.

Draft saved Draft deleted