1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: All it takes is one big quarter, just ask Doug Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 29, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I would venture to say this -- beating the Colts on the road with Peyton Manning playing a half is stilll a much tougher task than beating the Browns at home.

In other words, you could make a strong argument that the Steelers had two victories "handed" to them because they get to play the Browns twice -- yet unlike the Jets, who took care of their business when they had something handed to them, the Steelers fucked up and lost one of those gift games.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a difference between having bad teams on the schedule and having teams sit their key players and hand over the game. I have always been uncomfortable with teams not trying to win every single game on the schedule.

If the Steelers and Jets both get in, I would still think it was a shitty way for things to go.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No shit. I thought Fletcher would finally make it this year. Plus, he has one of the coolest names ever. :)

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

But be honest with yourself - the Colts with their starters playing half a game and some of their key back-ups finishing the game are still at least as good, and probably better than the Browns.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Jets are not winning Sunday night.

6. outofplace

I never said differently. Doesn't mean that there isn't something troublesome with one team not putting in a full effort in a game that has an impact on the playoffs.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Does Fletcher still play in the middle? If he's on the outside, he belongs before Lance Briggs, who was the Bears' best defender this year. But that ain't saying much.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Tell that to Bill Walsh who also sat players years ago when in similar situations.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, but Bill Walsh was a genius.

10. outofplace

I would, but the guy is kinda hard to reach these days. I understand why it is done. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Fletcher is in the middle.

An absolute joke that he missed the Pro Bowl again. The Redskins are awful, but they'd be in another dimension of shitty for the last two years if Fletcher wasn't there to make plays all over the field.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bullshit. The point isn't to win week to week, but to win the Super Bowl. If you win enough early on that you're assured of reaching the playoffs before the regular season ends, you're entitled to do what you feel you need to in order to prepare for the playoffs. You don't owe it to lesser teams to do things you aren't comfortable doing at the end of the season.

Personally I think the Colts are shooting themselves in the foot by going on cruise control this way. I figure they'd have learned their lessons about that. But they earned the right to prepare for the postseason the way they want to by, you know, winning and getting into the postseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted