1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: All it takes is one big quarter, just ask Doug Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 29, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was badly handled. It certainly gave Colts fans reason to be pissed and it may end up hurting the team, as this crap has done in the past.

It is certainly having an impact on the playoff race. The Jets could get in simply because their final two opponents gave them victories. That kinda sucks.

2. outofplace

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

For those who care, the Pro Bowl rosters are out. Not a single representative from the AFC North Champion Bengals. I really thought Leon Hall belonged. I'm surprising myself by writing this, but I think they took the wrong outside linebacker from the Steelers, though I'm not surprised that Harrison made it over Woodley.

Funny that Pittsburgh has two players from its struggling defense going (Harrison and Casey Hampton), but nobody from the offense. But looking closely, I don't see anybody who was unfairly left off. Maybe Roethlisberger, but it's tough to argue with Manning, Rivers and Brady.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What the fuck does London Fletcher have to do to get recognized? Besides hit the shit of people and actually tackle.

Geez, the one guy in the NFL who doesn't just hit, but actually plays fundamental football and actually makes a tackle gets snubbed again. No wonder overrated busts like LaRon Landry lead with their shoulder and act as human pinball bumpers on the field.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not this week. They'll save their best/worst for the wild card round.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

By the same token - I think teams with losses to KC, Oakland and the Browns (Pit) or losses Oakland and the Redskins (Den) or losses to those same Jets along with getting swept by the Jaguars (Hou) -- really shouldn't complain about what the Colts are doing or that the Jets have benefitted at the end of the season here.....

Had they just handled their business against shit teams, they'd all not be worrying about who the Bengals are going to suit up.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Uh, isn't oop talking about the lack of Bengals on the AFC Pro Bowl team here, not who they're going to play this weekend?

7. zagoshe

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post in my response....try this one then read my response....

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not one Bengals player made the Pro Bowl? Unreal.

Harrison doesn't belong on that team ... aside from a few games (SD, DET) he's been underwhelming, even invisible, this season. That's a great WR foursome, but I think Holmes might have been a candidate with a few more touchdowns.

It's how the Pro Bowl works, but I find it puzzling that someone like Ray Lewis gets in year after year simply on reputation. Also, it's great to see the Saints' Jahri Evans, a DII guy from Bloomsburg (Pa.), receive some props.

9. outofplace

In his zeal to jump into attack mode, Zag quoted the wrong post. He meant to go after my point about teams sitting their starters having an impact on the playoff race. While his point is well taken that these teams should have taken care of business earlier, and I saw a quote from Mike Tomlin saying exactly that earlier today, it is still a lousy way to have playoff berths decided.

Let me be clear. The Steelers don't deserve a playoff berth. Not with the shitty losses they have. Neither do some of the other teams that are still alive. I just don't like teams getting in because their opponents decided to roll over.

10. outofplace

Lewis can still play, though the reputation is definitely a part of it. I thought about Holmes, too, but the four who made it have been pretty damn good. Vincent Jackson and Randy Moss are tough omissions as well.

11. zagoshe

I think I already acknowledged that I quoted the wrong post Sherlock.

And it is not a shitty way to determine playoffs - there are only 16 games and as such you can't afford to have off days and if you do, well, you might just find yourself frustrated at the end because a team you need to win has no incentive to play any key player because they already locked up their shit.

That is not a "dis the Steelers" post, it is the reality and every year we have some teams whining because the team with first place locked up wants to rest players.

You don't want to be at the mercy of that at the end of the year, don't fuck up against shitty teams.

I will say this -- if I just look at the teams and from what I have seen on the field, the six best teams in the AFC are (in order) Chargers, Colts, Patriots, Bengals, Ravens and Steelers. I'd almost say from what I have seen that the seventh best team is Tennessee and then there is a group of junk pile shit Denver, Dolphins, Houston, Jets who have no business being in the playoffs.

I'm not saying that is who will be in the playoffs but that, to me, represents the six best teams.

12. outofplace

And it is a fairly good bet that those shitty Jets will get in because the Colts handed them one win and the Bengals will hand them another. That is my issue, a team getting into the playoffs because of two gift-wrapped victories over superior opponents, not the Steelers getting left out. The Steelers earned the hole they are in by shitting the bed five consecutive weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted