1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 17, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Bears would happily pay a portion of Cutler's contract in order to trade him, but if he's not cut before a certain date, more guarantees kick in.

The other question would be who might be willing to take him. I'd heard a few teams mentioned as possible landing spots for him, but it becomes really tough to justify why any team would bring him in as a starter.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How do you coach a game when the organization really would prefer you lose in order to gain a better draft position?

3. RecoveringJournalist

It's amazing, it's hard to find too many obvious instances of tanking in the NFL. Lord knows there have been teams that have lost out on guys like Manning and Luck because they won a meaningless game late in the season.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On a big loser, players are extremely motivated down the stretch by fear of their own unemployment. So tanking is hard.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Non-guaranteed contracts will do that to you. Obviously, the NBA does not have the same problem. :D

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tanking is done by management not players and coaches.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Also, in the NFL, getting a single player who is going to make an immediate difference on a bad team is pretty rare.

I would bet just about anything that Williams and Gregory have bigger impacts next season than the two quarterbacks who are expected to be top picks.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cutler and a 2nd round to DC for RGIII

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You fit right in with the lunatics who call into the local talk radio shows all day every day.

10. RecoveringJournalist

"Yeah, this is Mike from Kensington. I think the problem is the quarterback. We need to trade him for someone better. Why don't we send RG3 and a pick to the Packers for Aaron Rodgers? If that doesn't work, I'd also take Andrew Luck. I'll hang up so I can listen to your answer."

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"Hey, this is Abbott from Alexandria. First-time, long-time. Love your show. I really think we need to address the QB situation, and I think Cutler is the perfect guy for the job. Sure, he sucks at football, has a generally shitty attitude, and mopes around like Charlie Brown, but he throws just enough touchdown passes to be considered an upgrade here in DC. I really think we can win the Super Bowl with a guy like Cutler. I'd even be cool with giving up a first-round pick for him and eat all his salary. I'll hang up and listen. HTTR BABY!!!!"

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"Hey, this is Chris from Fredericksburg. Please stop bashing Haz. The defensive struggles have nothing to do with coaching."

Draft saved Draft deleted