1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: The Vinny Testaverde Feel Good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Any team that has to rely on their backup QB for any length of time, let alone the third-stringer, like the Steelers have this season is going to find out why those guys are backups and third-stringers.
    Agree that the Steelers probably need to start looking for their next QB whether Roethlisberger retires or not, but it's not like they could have foreseen having to play this entire season without him. The fact they even have any chance at a winning record and the playoffs is pretty amazing.
    Not that the Steelers' defense is this good, but it kind of reminds me of the 1991 Eagles when Randall Cunningham blew out his knee in Week 1 and they finished 10-6 with Jeff Kemp, Jim McMahon's rotting corpse, and Brad Goebbel all starting at least two games apiece, along with Pat Ryan seeing significant playing time.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I’ll take it too.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Honestly, when a quarterback is 38 you should always forsee the possibility of him not being available for periods at a time. And while I'm sure Ben puts in his work, I don't get the impression he's out there training like Drew Brees is in the offseason and trying to run with the 25 year olds all day, so the chances of that body breaking down and them old nagging ailments turning into injuries is that much greater.

But no question the Steelers made magic being 8-7 with that garbage they are rolling out at QB and a No. 1 RB and No. 1 WR that couldn't stay healthy for more than two weeks at a time. And there's no one in that organization that can say they don't know what they have on the bench behind him now.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems like maybe the Steelers should have considered signing a certain generally successful quarterback reviled for reasons unrelated to football. By now, the "distractions" from the signing might have died down. Maybe.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They already tried signing Michael Vick. It didn't work out.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I doubt the current Rooney in charge would have gone for it and Alejandro Villanueva might have tried to hurt him. Then again, Villanueva has been getting his quarterbacks hurt all season.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Villaneuva might have had a rough season, but if there's anyone that's handled the issue with kneeling with more respect, understanding and thoughtfulness I've yet to find them.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Heavens.
    Booger just said something about the Smith brothers from Minny.....although they're not related they've been dynamite.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

They have to move him off MNF right? He's been so bad

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely.
    There's no way he's back.
    If Tirico would have stayed, scuttlebug is Peyton would have done color.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Monday.

Night.

Football.
    Sucks.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

@MileHigh ......it is so damn strange hearing Roach in Minneapolis.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted