1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: I knew Scott Zolak wore this number, and that's just sad.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My point was that despite knowing full well that Ray Lewis is a better player than London Fletcher, and that stats can SOMETIMES be misleading, their career stats are still closer than I would have figured. Particularly with regards to interceptions. I knew Lewis had a good many. Didn't realize Fletcher had 35. That's solid, even if most of them were simply dropped into his hands or whatever excuse someone might make to take away from that stat.

FOX felt the need to show the graphic during Sunday's game, and Boswell felt the need to mention it yesterday. I didn't make it up.

We're free to move along now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

According to NBC, almost as good as Tom Brady:

[​IMG]

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

David Archer was the poor man's David Woodley. And that's WAY below the poverty line.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I guess Chris Colinsworth and Tom Brady are dating now, or so it seemed Sunday night. Seriously, old No. 80 could not contain his undying love.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

McElroy starting for Jets on Sunday. After spending the entire season as the No. 3 quarterback.

Woody Johnson needs to just start firing everybody. There is nobody in that whole power structure whose further presence is required.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It wouldn't necessarily be the wrong move, but I don't know if that's what I expect him to do.

Playing McElroy is the safe move, because if he played Tebow and the Jets won the last two games, it would actually probably be disastrous for Ryan. Then he would be required to start next season with Tebow as his starter, or cut him loose.

I don't know if Ryan can be blamed for that since it's pretty well-known that the Tebow-acquisition was owner-driven.

I still think Ryan gets another year. The bigger question is Sanchez. I don't see how they can bring him back, but with his pricetag, he's not tradeable and they might have to take a huge cap hit if they cut him loose.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Playing McElroy over Tebow is the safe move for Ryan, you mean. For the franchise? Hmmmmmm.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've become more and more convinced that, despite cap hit, jets will release sanchez for everyone's benefit. he's done with that organization. going with mcelroy over tebow is the best, only real legit option for ryan. mcelroy is the only one of the three qbs who figure to still be on the roster when camp opens next summer, most likely to compete for the no. 2 job. starting tebow in the last two games would only be for HIS benefit, not the club's or ryan's.

there is NO WAY tebow will be a jet next season. the divorce should come fairly soon in the offseason 'to be fair to tim.' finding out as much as they can about mcelroy's true ceiling is the only relevant qb info left for the jets to compile.

those jet fans -- or tebow fans -- screaming, 'how could they bypass tebow?' aren't looking at this with any degree of objectivity (what a shocker); i'm far from a ryan fan, but i'm in absolute total agreement with how he handled having tebow forced down his throat by his owner.once he saw up close and personal that timmy is as ill-equipped to become an nfl-calibre passer as he looked all last season ryan understood he'd lose the rest of the team if he tried going with the 'he gives us the best chance to win' spiel re: tebow.

he knows it and the players know it -- tebow's a sideshow, not an answer.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's all true, shockey, but then McElroy should have been the backup. A few weeks ago against Jacksonville, he was inactive.

I could probably dig up a post of mine from a few months back but I think I argued that McElroy should get a look because he will at least make good decisions that lead to punts or field goals.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why would you be obligated to bring Tebow back if they happened to win the next 2 with him starting? They are playing 2 dogs and this is the same logic used in the Chiefs keepiong Crennell

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Ryan Leaf :mad: (couldn't find the vomit smiley)

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Which is why it makes no sense to do it. I'd be trying to lose and get a better draft spot.

Beyond that, if someone happens to play/coach well and you win a couple, you will always have a faction that says "we found the answer. this is what we should do next year." Same reason not to use an interim coach unless you are seriously thinking about hiring the guy long term.

Draft saved Draft deleted