1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: I knew Scott Zolak wore this number, and that's just sad.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Dec 17, 2012.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Other random No. 16's:

Gary Danielson, Chuck Long, Andrew Walter...I seem to be drawing a blank.

A little help?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Norm Snead.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Scott Hunter, Randy Wright.

4. old_tony

I was thinking along the same lines. Tackles as a raw number can be so misleading. A tackle for a 5-yard loss is statistically a tackle just the same as a tackle after a 40-yard gain. But they're nowhere near the same in impact. I don't know if Fletcher has a shitload of downfield tackles compared to Lewis, but I'd be surprised if he has nearly as many tackles for loss or tackles within 2 yards of the LOS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sign-gateways-justin-king-at-cornerback-666851/

I know Ike Taylor has played some horrible games in his career, including the playoff loss in Denver last season, but the Steelers are finding out just how valuable he is right now. The biggest reason Pittsburgh beat Cincinnati the first time around was the job Taylor did on A.J. Green (with help). Keenan Lewis playing with a sore hip isn't going to be able to do that and Taylor is out again this Sunday.

Pittsburgh has transformed from a defense that relies on its pass rush to one that focuses more on coverage in the secondary. That just isn't working without Taylor and I don't expect it to work Sunday, either.

The 2005 team was a popular comparison a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh, but this is looking much more like 2009. That team couldn't hold a fourth-quarter lead and took some terrible losses against bad teams, most of them during a 6-game losing streak. This team has some ugly losses, some blown leads and very likely a streak of five losses in six games down the stretch to miss the playoffs. I really wish I hadn't been right about that when I made the comparison earlier in the season and I hope I'm wrong now, but I just don't see the Steelers beating the Bengals given how both teams are playing and the injuries the Steelers are dealing with.

6. outofplace

Mark Malone

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Didn't David Woodley wear 16?

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I thought the naming convention was crappy Bears QBs.

9. outofplace

Woodley wore 16 with the Dolphins, 19 with the Steelers. I assume that was because Malone was already there and wearing the number when Woodley came to Pittsburgh.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Then what was your point?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. old_tony

Packers swept the Bears this season so I'm horning in on YGBFKM's territory. :D

Next week: Jerry Tagge.

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Lest we forget David Archer, or Ken Stabler - throwing 33 interceptions and 17 TD passes - on the Saints.

Draft saved Draft deleted