1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: Dolphins up a (Len Dawson's) creek? '09? Yes. '72? Hell, no!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I consider myself pretty well-read in NFL tiebreaking crap.... but I need some help.

Every paper in my neck of the woods talks about how the Dolphins need the Jaguars to lose to clear them out of a 7-loss, wild-card tiebreaker.

Yet, a 9-7 Jaguars finishes second in the AFC South.

So, wouldn't seven-loss tiebreakers eliminate the Titans from the discussion because they are deemed to be behind Jacksonville in the division (Jacksonville, who split with Titans, has better division record than Tennessee)?

The Dolphins have a head-to head sweep over the Jaguars and Jets.

My thought?

A big Xmas present would be the Chargers winning on Christmas night.

Then, the Dolphins, who must beat the Texans and Steelers at home, would only need a Ravens or Broncos loss. Though the Broncos losing to Philadelphia MIGHT not be enough to get a 9-7 Dolphins past them. The Steelers can definitely beat the Ravens (as they can the Dolphins, for sure, but for this exercise, won't)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: NFL Week 16: Are Dolphins up a (Len Dawson's) creek?

According to a story I read last night, if more than two teams end up tied for a Wild Card spot, the NFL would break ties among teams in the same division first, so you are correct that the Titans would be eliminated if they were part of a three-way tie with the Jaguars and another team. At that point, Miami would get in due to it's victory over Jacksonville.

If there is a three-way tie for both Wild Card spots, however, the team that loses the divisional tie-breaker could still get in the second spot. For example, if the Steelers, Broncos and Ravens all ended up tied at 9-7, the Ravens would get the first spot by virtue of the tiebreaking edge over the Steelers. Then the NFL would treat the Steelers and Broncos as a two-way tie, which would go to Pittsburgh.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Precisely..... that's what I thought

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

As a Dolphins fan, I pretty much gave up hope when Ronnie Brown got injured. I'm still watching and cheering, but making the playoffs this year would be gravy. The two developments I love the most in Miami: Chad Henne has improved week to week, and Chad Henne doesn't throw to Ted Ginn.

5. Re: NFL Week 16: Are Dolphins up a (Len Dawson's) creek?

Simon, why worry about it?
    The Dolphins are going to lose to the Steelers anyway. .... ;D

6. Simon_Cowbell

Please let the Steelers beat the Ravens to make that game be for some marbles.

7. outofplace

I know that's all the Steelers can hope for, that the game will have meaning. But they still have a very tough game against the Ravens and they need some help this week for it to get to that point. But hey, Jared Retkofsky is back and Limas Sweed is gone, so those are positives. :)

8. Re: NFL Week 16: Are Dolphins up a (Len Dawson's) creek?

Call it blissful ignorance, but I think the Steelers beat the Ravens.

9. outofplace

I can see the logic. They almost beat them in Baltimore without Roethlisberger and now the Ravens are without their best corner (yes, I do think Webb was their best corner even as a rookie).

But man, I don't trust that Pittsburgh defense against anybody. I don't see that changing unless/until Polamalu returns, and that is supposed to be Week 17 at the earliest. Sunday's victory over the Packers was fun, but I still don't see the Steelers winning out, much less getting the help they need to make the playoffs.

10. Re: NFL Week 16: Are Dolphins up a (Len Dawson's) creek?

Again, I'm prolly blissfully ignorant, but I really like thier chances to win out and make the playoffs. The scenario, while long, is a strong possibilty.
    Yeah the defense sucks, but the Ravens defense is pretty weak as well.
    They will be OK.

We better change the subject to avoid the Steeler-jack.

11. outofplace

Meh. If somebody wants to talk about something else, they are more than welcome to bring up another topic. :)

Actually, I am really curious to see how the Titans fare against the Chargers Thursday. I still don't have much faith in San Diego's defense, especially against the run, so Johnson could have a big day against them. I just wonder if that will be enough given how well the Chargers are playing.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Brady Quinn just got put on IR. Hurt his foot Sunday.

Sunday it's Derek Anderson vs. Charlie Frye. Grudge match!

Draft saved Draft deleted